Used 1998 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews - 75 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

What a rare bmw you have there
By Joel anderson

1998 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

I own a 1998 bmw 528i 5 speed maual in barclot red and it is absolutely amazing I mean the leather has lasted though snow mud and dust the body is in good shape for 21 years old it’s been a beater or a iconic aged luxury car it’s been tough for that car. it dose have some down sides thought it has been a hassle with monkey see monkey do with this car one headlight went out I had replaced it and within a week the other one went out and soon after my brake lights did the same. I had replaced the starter and it ran better after that the window regulator on the the back right passenger window went out fixed that then the left one did as well as the drivers too driver but It had not been that bad since the things that had broken were relatively cheap so 20–30 sometimes a 100 dollars here and there won’t break your wallet to bad but it is just regular maintenance for this car I mean the things it’s been through while staying reliable for so long it isn’t that bad. The next thing I want to talk about is the alarm now the key pad goes bad in about 20 and a half year old but you still have your alarm that is still very effective it scares thief’s away with its ear piercing siren and the motion sensors still works. But what I really want to talk about the transmission it shifts really well it doesn’t ship hard or gritty it shifts how it’s supposed to soft and easy and it has some pick me up for 21 year old car I’ve gone as fast as 185mph in it and it’s a speed demon and I dobaby it because it’s been tortured when I lived in Pennsylvania snow and all that and I only have 2 little rust spots on it. And the gas is great it goes over mpg ratings I got 45 mpg one time but it usually stays at 22 and 25.

E39, the best BMW!
By VAe39

1998 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

The E39 version (1997-2003) of the 5-series is one of the best sedans BMW has ever made. A very solidly built car with a huge following on the internet. All problems and fixes can be found online with detailed descriptions by enthusiastic owners.

It is a classic
By Pedro

1998 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

I bought my BMW 540i back in 94, with 100k miles on it. Now 100k miles later, this car is running as a charm. What a nice car to ride. It looks great, and when you need power this car has a lot to give. The only way to replace it, it is finding another one just like it. Highly recommended.

The Ultimate Driving Machine
By artprophet

1998 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

There's a beautiful spirit about this car. Every time I get into the vehicle I find a great peace with the world. This is truly the best car I have ever owned. This beauty of mine is my first BMW. I'm now middle aged and have had plenty of cars and driving experiences but nothing compares to this machine. Perfect handling on the curves and it gives you power when you need it. I find myself driving on the back roads and the highways with comfort and ease. I feel no stress at all. If I feel like cruising at 40 mph or putting it to the test at 95 mph it's all good. I will always have this car of mine. It's a classic now and forever.

Drive quality, acceleration, comfortable seats, the orange glow of the interior lights at night looks just as good today even at 16 years old, unbelievable paint luster, mint condition.

None... It's a classic car and changing nothing will make it more valuable as the years go by.

Top notch car
By djlarroc

1998 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

I registered just to post how much I loved this car. I recently sold it to get something newer, but in over 6 years/50k of ownership, this is BY FAR, THE BEST, MOST RELIABLE CAR I'VE EVER OWNED.
And I bought this car in 2005 w/over 100k on it. Aside from that, it's an absolute blast to drive, look at. MPG is amazing for a car this size, 25 mixed. Build quality is superb. Doors shut solid. Engine is solid, drivetrain. I had some minor repairs like a window regulator, fan blower, but was never stranded. Mine was the sport, so it had the lowered suspension and the 17" BBS style wheels. Amazing car. The 5 speed/sport pkg is a must. Anyone thinking of buying this, do it. You will love this car!!

Sporty suspension, MPG, great acceleration, build quality, feel.

Some cheaper interior plastics, cupholders not very good.