Used 1997 BMW 5 Series 540i Consumer Reviews - 24 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1997 BMW 5 Series

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Poor reliability offsets driving thrills
By Peter

1997 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

Fast, solid, highly capable car. I thoroughly enjoyed driving it. The 540i adds power but gives up the 528i's nimbleness. The great driving experience was more than offset by poor reliability though - particularly the electronics. I had to take the car in for unexpected repairs about twice a year.

Power, handling and solidity.

Better electronics (security system, electric motors).

Love this car
By Wilfredo

1997 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

My 1997 540i is 163,000 miles-old and it still feels & drives like a brand- new-year-model. With a powerful V8 that's not designed to pull you back into your seat when taking a ride, but instead, gives you the smooth enjoyable feeling which makes you just want to keep driving. At first it all had to do with just experiencing what was to have a BMW, but once I had it, it all changed. I thought I had tried it all, I was very wrong. This is the Ultimate Driving Machine. Quality Interior design & components, powerfull awesome engine,... There are new cars coming out every year (Lexus, Infiniti, etc) and most of them don't even come with the gadgets that came in my BMW 540i 1997 model.

ASC (Stability Control), curtains, windows retract (pinch point). I can leave my kids inside the car, windows slightly down, lock the car and they can't get out. +++

Most of what i've thought of, is already included in newer models.

Great Investment
By justducky150

1997 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

Great investment... if a used car could be such a thing. This 540i has been stellar in reliability and performance. I bought with 29,000 miles and it started service on the road in August 1996. 80,000 miles later and the car still is turning heads and has tremendous thrust. Parts that had to be purchased: water pump, windshield wiper motor, AC compressor (covered under warranty). Other than that, it has been almost flawless. I started driving it in brutal Western Pennsylvania winters 2 years ago, favoring its reknowned safety cage, and have never had a problem with sliding/skidding. The car is perfectly balanced. Above average cost of investment for excellent long term return.

6 speed clutch manual, I don't believe in automatics. Rear wheel drive, car is pushed instead of pulled. Tight turning radius. 8 cylinders of spine tingling thrust.

Typical of BMW 540s in 1997 model year, dash display pixels failing.

look out open road
By bigb

1997 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

Bought it recently and car was well cared for. What a car-like going on vacation every time behind the wheel- just pure pleasure. I know it will eventually cost me but who cares-you can't take it with you. If you have the desire-try one used and you will see what I mean.

world class speed and handling

less complicated stereo and heating/ac

Fun to drive!
By PAER

Initially, I wanted to purchase a 7
series, but discovered that I could get
the same V-8 in a 540. Plus! Why pay a
few extra thousand dollars to have leg
room for people to sit in the back who
are not paying your car note!

The 1997-2001 5 series look basically
the same, so I used the “worst house in
the best neighborhood” theory and
purchased a 1997 in mid-Jan 2004 with
only 52K miles on it.

At the 61K mark, the cooling system
died and I got that and all belts
replaced at an independent BMW shop.

I saved some pennies and went from
riding a bike to getting this BMW!

:-)

1. V-8 2. Gas milage 3. Limited exterior design changes between 1997-2001.

Cup holders...of course! Master A/C control on steering wheel. More easily removable flashlight in glove compartment.