2021 Acura TLX Sedan Consumer Reviews

$37,500

Save as much as $2,078
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Expectations are Key!

E. Lin, 11/03/2020
SH-AWD 4dr Sedan AWD w/2.0T and A-Spec Package (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 10A)

Recently picked up a redesigned AWD TLX w/turbo 4 cyl. in A-Spec trim. Really wanted the Type S but decided that the eventual ramp up in cost and lower fuel economy probably would have been deal breakers. I am very glad the TLX is no longer based on the Accord platform as it looks great and can stand out more from its Honda brethren. Here are my initial impressions. Pros: - Engine has some zip and should be more than adequate for most people (enthusiasts can continue waiting for the Type S) - Looks like a sleek sports car (especially if you choose the red/black interior seating)! - Seats are super comfortable, even more so than the ones on the MDX I was driving. Good support and I can imagine long drives being pleasant. - Suspension has been upgraded to double-wishbone. I don't feel I miss the active-dampening of the Advance trim. - Trunk release button is handy for when your hands are full (just stand there with fob in proximity and push the button!) - Awesome ELS sound system - Wireless phone charging Cons: - There is no spare tire (for additional fuel economy). You'll deal with a compressor and sealant in the trunk. You can always ask roadside assistance to do it for you. - The touchpad takes some getting used to. Unfortunately the method to operate the tactile pad for Acura apps is not the same as for when you use Carplay. I can't comment on the Android version but it may be the same issue. I've gotten used to this but I can see this being a deal breaker for some folks. - Car is marketed to compete with the BMW 3 series, C-Class, etc. and is competitive in price, interior space, trunk space, but not in fuel economy. I believe the exterior being more like the 5-series or E-Class size and the weight has quite a bit to do with it. This oddball combination forces the TLX to be more of a direct competitor with the Kia Stinger GT-Line for these reasons (fuel economy is identical). Speaking of weight, the TLX is only about 250 lb less than the MDX I gave up. Luckily the engine is more than sufficient to power the car on the highway. I always hated how underpowered a 2012 C-Class I owned was similar in weight to this TLX but struggled to accelerate with its underpowered V6. In conclusion, I'll stop short of saying this car is for "Acura fans only" but it is definitely not for everyone. The looks may keep sales high but only time will tell how long-term owners feel. Either way, it is most definitely worth it to get a test drive if you are on the fence after this review!

Nice overall

Luis De La Cruz, 12/06/2020
4dr Sedan w/2.0T and Advance Package (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 10A)

I just lease a 2022 tlx advance this are my first impressions on the car. Nice looking, from the outside and the inside, the inside side is also beautiful, drives very well and comfortable, very impressive with the sound sistem, i absolutely love it, one of the best in the market, the materials inside are top class, all the safety features are in the car, very satisfied with the car so far. My complaints are for example that it doesn’t have power tilt steering wheel even on the advance, that is a shame for a car that cost almost 48,000 and the it comes with regular floor carpets without the logo, if you want those you have to buy them separately shame on that too, also thee is not an usb charge for the back passengers. It would be nice if Acura offers a better variety of rims. It is a very good looking car.

Tech errors

Cole104 , 01/13/2021
4dr Sedan w/2.0T and Advance Package (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 10A)

The biggest flaw I found after driving a 2021 TLX advance package was the Acura logo on the grill and all it controls. When this gets dirty or snowy none of your convenience/safety features function at all. Over all this car is absolutely astounding and a blast to drive and the sport mode is a blast, cant wait to see how the Type -S hanldles in comparison

Ad
Build Your TLX
At a Glance:
  • 9 Colors
  • 3 Trims
  • $44,250starting MSRP

The Best TL/TLX Ever But With Inexcusable Flaws

Bluesboymark, 03/17/2021
SH-AWD 4dr Sedan AWD w/2.0T and Advance Package (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 10A)

This is my third Acura and it is by far the best. But a few annoying features prevent it from being what should be a "great car" for the money. For starters, I'm not a big fan of the "touch pad" for controlling vehicle navigation and functions. It lags and takes getting used to. Not user friendly vs. touch screen. Also, Acura should fire the graphic designer or engineer who decided on the fixed daytime map color scheme and use of small white text outlined in black on a light background. A real graphic design no-no. Furthermore, street route numbers are unreadable no matter how you adjust contrast and brightness. My 2010 Acura TL had five map color schemes that you could adjust to get the best viewing experience. The screen and text on my 2010 appeared larger and far more readable. But no worries - the 2021 Acura engineers give you many different colors to change your interior car accent lighting - but not the more important navigation map! Bad bad bad. I'm tempted to use the map's night color screen even during the day because it is more readable. Also, info text on the navigation screen is in smaller fonts than my 2010 TL. Text should be easily readable when driving.. Also, if you live in a region that gets snow, wet snow that collects on the Acura's front emblem where the camera is causes some safety features to be disabled. Living in the Chicago area, this happened several times. These flaws get in the way of a fabulous automobile. It looks great, rides and handles beautifully, is very comfortable, has plenty of pep for a heavy car with its four cylinder turbo and has an excellent sound system for the money. However, I expected the mileage to be better with the four cylinder and if I'd known, I'd have waited for the six cylinder turbo. Also, be prepared for smaller back seat space on this model. This is a great looking vehicle with a lot of bang for the buck versus the more expensive BMW and Lexus. I felt that shelling out another $5,000 was not in my budget. Acura...hope you have some updates to the navigation color choice schemes. It's sorely needed!

There is potential

John C, 05/07/2021
4dr Sedan w/2.0T and A-Spec Package (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 10A)

Acura has always been close to my heart. Having owned 5+ Hondas/Acuras, I finally decided to see what Acura has been doing the last few months. I was looking at this model and the Lexus IS350 F sport. Before I get into my opinions about the TLX, I will add the deciding factors over the IS350. Lexus did a wonderful job on the new IS (exterior wise). The interior was quite lackluster. It’s literally the prior model year interior but with a bigger screen. I was disappointed that Lexus got lazy with the IS. I would’ve loved to see the interior fully redesigned like the exterior. Also the red seats on the Lexus weren’t as nice as the TLX. Price was also a deciding factor. The TLX was roughly $45k sticker while every IS I would find with the upgraded stereo system was upwards of $48k. I felt it was more bang for your buck. While yes Lexus had better reliability, I wanted something new both inside and out. Plus everyone has the new IS and not that many people have the TLX yet. Now onto the review. I had previously looked at the 2020 TLX last year and the interior was very outdated. It was a bit of a turn off considering how much I like Honda products. After the redesign I decided to check out the car and I will say although the 2.0 4 banger is fun, it just doesn’t beat a V6 feel. Me personally I think Acura took a step back by replacing the V6 engine...not saying the new 2.0 is horrible...it’s just not as responsive as I wished and it feels like a 4 cylinder. Aside from that, I loved all the angles of the exterior of the car. The redesign shows that Honda has a lot of potential for their luxury brand. I’ll start with the interior...they did a better job at making the cabin feel a lot less like a Honda and more like an Acura. I got the red leather seats in mine and the interior with red leather seats is absolutely beautiful! The interior ambient lighting gives you a lot of cool color options to chose from though I wish they would’ve continued the light strips to the back doors of the car. The screen is a good size but users beware...the pad used to maneuver the screen takes some getting used too. It’s definitely not perfect and for those who aren’t tech savvy, it will be annoying trying to learn the system. I kind of wish Honda went with a full digital screen for the tachometer...it’s a bit outdated still but wasn’t that big of a let down for me to hold me back from purchasing the car. The ELS 3D Audio system has a very nice kick to it, and the tech in the car is great for the price. Overall I feel like it’s a good value for your money. My only big complaint I have is they don’t offer remote start on the A-Spec package only on the app and it’s free for 3 months after that it’s a yearly fee. You would think at that price, the car would have something as cheap as remote start. Aside from that the cars comfortable, it’s very attractive (though the wheel design is a bit boring), and it shows Honda’s capable of making good products...I just wish they’d realize that sooner...I’m sure the car would’ve been a lot better had they not taken the Infiniti route and made okay cars the last few years. I’m glad to see Honda trying to revamp the Acura brand.