Used 2001 Acura TL Consumer Reviews - 69 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Acura TL Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific TL model:

Buy one NOW
By Donna

Awesome car@!!

Survived a Flood
By Angela Koch

2001 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Our particular Acura TL was actually flooded under water all but about 3 inches from the roof. It was a Florida Summer storm in 2012 that did it. My husband bought it from a co-worker and towed it home. We removed the seats and the carpet to dry them out in the sun. Steam cleaned the carpet. Of course some electronics had to be purchased like the stereo (eBay), rear view mirror, headlights, a few light bulbs behind the dash, the digital clock (some parts purchased at a salvage yard). He then drained the fuel tank and since the car was never started, the water never entered the engine. We reinstalled the carpet and seats and still put a dehumidifier in it for a week until every possible drop of water was absorbed. A/C runs great, etc. I could go on mentioning the little things we did, but this amazing car is what we call the "beater" car. My husband only runs it to work and back. He's driven about 150,000 miles since we did the work and it's still going. There's absolutely no sign of engine trouble and outside of normal use, he is simply changing the oil when it needs it. Amazing!

A Keeper
By coppet

2001 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Bought new fall of 2000. New Honda transmission at 23K miles (warranty). New wheel bearing (LR) at 24K miles (warranty). Kept it up by the book with Acura doing major work. Now it time to reap the rewards of buying a very good car and keeping up with upkeep. It's still solid, peppy, handles well (I prefer modest profile tires for quietness). Sound system rivals anything on the road. Nav system is a bit long in the tooth now, but still works just fine. DVD nav system is a bit outdated and takes up a bit of trunk space. Never get over 23-24 on the highway. Now using cheapest regular gas and it's still purring along just fine.

comfort, handling, quality of ride are all top notch, even after 12 years of work day use.

AC tries to use outside temp to set its controls. Usually this is not accurate. Have to use the NAV system screen to control AC fan manually, an inconvenience.

My best car ever
By mysterger

2001 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

xI have owned this car since it was new, purchased September 2000. I had the transmission replaced at about 34,000 miles by Acura at no extra charge.
Since then, I've had no issues with the transmission and mileage currently stands at 153,000 miles. The car still drives and runs beautifully. It is serviced regularly by an Acura dealership and I love their service. For a twelve years old, people who don't know too much about cars think it is just a 3 or 4 years old.
Last month, I had the oil changed along with a tire rotation.
When I was about to get in my car and leave after the work was done, the mechanic who did the work came outside and offered me $6500 for it! I couldn't believe it.

The factory Nav system. Couldn't be simpler to use. The car's exterior design is timeless elegance. Even after this car's introduction in 1999, it still looks clean and fresh.

Better brake feel. Acura should use glass for the headlights. The headlights are getting the automotive equivalent of cataracts. As do just about all cars eventually.

2001 Acura TL 3.2L (65K miles)
By vb4000

2001 Acura TL 3.2 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

The Acura TL is a basically a Honda Accord with more fit and trim. If that's okay with you, then you'll love this car.
Personally, I think the car looks girly. I have it in white, and I'm not a huge fan of the design. I've seen it in blue and black and it looks much better.
-Transmission was replaced at 56K miles.
-The 3.2L is a reliable engine that has plenty of pep and a surprising amount of power down low. It won't exactly blow your hair back, but it's a quick car if/when it has to be.

As per gas mileage, it's not that impressive. Edmund's says 20pmg, and they're pretty much dead on. For a V6, it isn't exactly a gas sipper.

--The interior seats are comfortable, seat heaters are a nice option, and the cup-holders and big and well placed; I haven't spilled my coffee once. They're also removable to clean, which is a nice feature. --The TL that I have has a sunroof, with a pop-up feature which is nice, but I dread the day it stops working. Also, the rear windows go completely down, so my friends enjoy that. --The car came with Xenon headlights (the person I bought it from said that was stock) which I also think is a nice feature. No automatic headlights, which was disappointing, but the car will chime if you leave them on to remind you. --The car heats up very fast and heat comes up right away - Great in winter.

--No automatic headlights. --Trunk and fuel door release are in stupid spots. --Radio is not impressive, the speakers blew out on me twice already and I don't blast the music. --Transmission was replaced as I previously stated. The refurbished one I bought still slips when cold. --Steering is sluggish once it gets moving. Car has 65000 miles but handles like it's way older than that. Just doesn't have the tight feel you'd expect. Feels heavy and slow to respond. Suspension rides really nice over the bump, but the power steering and the overall design/width of the car give it a really dull handling experience.