Good car, but some parts are non durable
By Michael L on
1998 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon
This wagon has been very useful and never let me down on the road. I have driven this wagon to different long distance journey and it treated me well. However for a 12 year car with 142,000 miles, I do expect some wear and tear, but for some reason the most critical part of this wagon went out which was the passenger door lock where I couldn't get it to lock and could not get the rear cargo door to lock in it's place and I had to get it repaired otherwise there is possible internal theft. Both front driver and passenger door hinges had to be replaced because they broke of old age which was costly. There are a few more minor wear and tear items that went out.
Favorite Features
I like the fact that the transversely mounted 5 cylinder engine is solidly made. This engine looks simple to work on especially when it is non-turbo. The acceleration & braking is smooth and responsive. The transmission feels solid when driving. The operating features are simple & user friendly.
Suggested Improvements
The quality of the door panels, they foamed as a bubble due to old age. Volvo needs to use better quality plastic parts on the armrest cup holders, rear ashtray console, rear cargo door panel, and steering column. I have seen leather seats on these models deteriorate terribly because of low quality.