Used 1998 Volvo V70 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific V70 model:

$Love it But Leave It
By ilovemyvolvo

1998 Volvo V70 Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

I love this car. Comfortable, safe, reliable and can get me anywhere. My $5000 purchase of a used car has probably now cost me upwards of $10,000 including repairs. I've owned it for 5 years. Not what i was looking for in purchasing a used vehicle. It's been one thing after another- engine mounts, locks, windows, power steering leak, rear drive shaft now the air pump system. This is not a used vehicle you want to buy if you are not willing to put a lot of $$$ into it. Going back I probably would have settled for something cheaper to repair.

Comfort & Safety.

Small features should not have worn out yet- I know Chrysler owners who have older cars with working parts and my Volvo doesn't.

Good car, but some parts are non durable
By Michael L

1998 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

This wagon has been very useful and never let me down on the road. I have driven this wagon to different long distance journey and it treated me well. However for a 12 year car with 142,000 miles, I do expect some wear and tear, but for some reason the most critical part of this wagon went out which was the passenger door lock where I couldn't get it to lock and could not get the rear cargo door to lock in it's place and I had to get it repaired otherwise there is possible internal theft. Both front driver and passenger door hinges had to be replaced because they broke of old age which was costly. There are a few more minor wear and tear items that went out.

I like the fact that the transversely mounted 5 cylinder engine is solidly made. This engine looks simple to work on especially when it is non-turbo. The acceleration & braking is smooth and responsive. The transmission feels solid when driving. The operating features are simple & user friendly.

The quality of the door panels, they foamed as a bubble due to old age. Volvo needs to use better quality plastic parts on the armrest cup holders, rear ashtray console, rear cargo door panel, and steering column. I have seen leather seats on these models deteriorate terribly because of low quality.

Great Car!
By Jay W

1998 Volvo V70 Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

Hands down, this is the best car I've ever owned. I'm a college student who does his own Preventative Maintenance & turns his own wrenches: Volvos: easy to work on, rugged, simple. Don't listen to the [non-permissible content removed] get gouged at dealerships. [non-permissible content removed].

Drive train is bullet proof. safe car. 300K mile car, easily

when VOlvo went to the door mounted window controls, they've got a cheap design on the swithes. Just order switches and change it yourself and shut off NPR and do it yourself instead of griping. Volvos are the easiest to work on and the most well built rugged cars I've seen, and I've seen alot.

truely a volvo!
By XC lover

1998 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

I love my XC. Has there been some issue's not that Couldn't have been prevented. people Complain about the tires. honestly its AWD you MUST ROTATE THEM EVERY 5K other wise they wear uneven and cause strain on the AWD system! Breaks. its a volvo thing they tend to go through break pads. but if you Change the oil every 5k have tune ups done with OEM parts these cars will keep going! I have 122k now and have no issues, I also have another one that has 236k that i use for camping trips cus it has dents and dings oh and the whole going trough head light bulbs is easy fix just turn the daytime running lights off!

Comfort on long road trips. seems to get best hwy MPG at around 2400rpm or 70mph and 90. iv pushed the car to the max and got 580 miles on 17 gallons

Cup holders. the leather seats don't like sitting in the sun. intermediate wipers!

Nice Car
By Ryan

1998 Volvo V70 GLT Turbo 4dr Wagon

This was my first car, and I still own and like it a lot. So far, the only repair I had done was the front left brake caliper. A seal went bad allowing water to get to the inside causing rust so it didn't release all the way when I let off the brake. Labor is whats most expensive. You can find cheaper refurbished parts from Volvo, which is what I did. Its a heavier car, so it goes through tires faster than others. Fuel economy is okay, it seems to do better with premium. The body and appearance is fantastic. It still looks new 11 years later. I'd like to get larger factory Volvo wheels, as the 15" wheels it came with look oddly small compared to the larger body.

The heated seats. The engine power, so long as you keep it maintained. Large online community of enthusiasts to back you up if you have problems.

The little electrical problems people seem to have. A manual would be nice. The automatic has a torque limiter, I believe.