1998 Volvo V70 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific V70 model:
Great car for first 120k, but now......?
By Dutchman on 10/22/09 18:55 PM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

Getting some anxieties about upcoming costs. Volvo shops are VERY expensive. Are they better than local guy? I don't know. So far we had to do only the normal maintenance, but we now also have the loose sway bars, rusting brakes, the tailgate interior loose and the "check engine" light on of which the first repair did not fix it..... Is it falling apart? Selling makes no sense. Trade-in values are horribly low. So from feeling like we were driving the best car of the world, we now are in sticker shock looking at rising repair costs and no good alternative.... A lube job to a squeaking skylight would require its removal @ several hundreds....

Awesome Car
By bobsfrankenbeans on 10/17/09 13:42 PM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

Coming from a '96 Saturn sw2, this volvo was a huuuuuge upgrade. It's air tight (so much so that your ears pop when opening/closing the sunroof), runs like a charm, and is so stable that I often forget I'm driving in through icy/snow covered roads (as the AWD and Wet setting makes the car hunker down and adjust beautifully to the changing grip). the cabin stays at a nice temperature even with it's -20 out and it warms up within 5 mins. It's super comfortable, good audio, etc. etc. It's not as much fun as the saturn - no doughnuts or snow drifting - but it's certainly safer, warmer, and at an appropriate level to allow giant F-9000s to see you, not matter the weather.

Money Pit
By Chery Pie on 09/28/09 21:47 PM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

I have had a V70 for about 5 years. It has been one thing or another. The last straw was the transmission that had to be replaced. I can't wait to unload it and get what...another damn Volvo? Think twice about a Volvo.

Just keeps going and going and going!
By Conner on 09/25/09 10:56 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V70 R Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

This car is absolutely fabulous. 235K miles to date. The most comfortable seats ever made. Super-reliable. High- pressure turbo is fun as heck to drive. The AWD is excellent. Build quality is wonderful. I service the car every 5K and it takes care of me every day. Paint quality is still excellent after 11 years. Interior Materials also exceptional quality. The only issues with the '98s are ABS control modules tend to go out. Strut mounts can wear out causing a "clunk" sound. Replaced wheel bearings. The 3- CD head units don't last. Well worth it, though, factory sound is awesome.

fearful yet tickled
By fearful on 06/06/09 09:55 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

Less than one day after my purchase of an ultra clean silver v70 wagon with 135k and just a few obvious repairs needed. We paid 4995 less 1750 bucks for my somewhat hated kia rio 5 speed no power steering car that I bought new 9 years ago. The mixed reviews tell me I am in for some costly repairs but until then this car seems better for not too much money spent. Also the car insures for much less (60.00 a month full coverage) because of it's high safety rating. We'll see I guess

A Nice Used Wagon, Shop Carefully.
By JawzX on 02/11/09 21:37 PM (PST)

1998 Volvo V70 Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought this car from a private seller who had all service records since new, so I knew what I was getting into, which was a very well maintained, if high-miles car. It had a large amount of work done to it prior to my purchase, including the Infamous prop-shaft replacement (still needs a torque-tube bushing and rear shocks), so I knew I wouldn't have to worry about that for another 150K miles... The car is very comfortable, performs reasonably, handles well, holds a huge amount of stuff, is great in the snow, parts prices for repair are high. I have no bad things to say about the interior materials or fit of the car, but mine was assembled in Belgium, maybe that makes a difference?

Great Car, but...
By markymark on 11/24/08 06:11 AM (PST)

1998 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

This is my 4th Volvo and it is definitely a "love/hate" relationship. When all is good, I love it. It's the most comfortable car I've ever owned. The heated seats are sublime on a cold Colorado morning. But just too many small problems that indicate poor design and engineering. I've replaced, engine mounts, suspension, brake rotors, check engine lights, turbo seals, and am holding my breath now that my extended warranty has expired. I'll keep it as long as it doesn't get too expensive, then I'll probably jump to an Audi or maybe a good 'ole dependable Subaru! Too bad for Volvo, I think we all want to stick with them, but they just seem to have lost their focus.

Highway Star
By Keith on 08/22/08 07:59 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V70 GLT Turbo 4dr Wagon

I purchased the car from the original, private buyer at 70K; it now has 140K. It still burns no oil. It's been great. Replaced the silly rear hatch panel fastening system cheaply when it failed. (inexpensive kit.) One front wheel bearing whined until it was fixed for a couple of hundred bucks. Really, the perfect car if you like to haul stuff, and feel safe, comfortable and secure. Find a trusted mechanic to keep an eye on things (same for any car) and you'll grow very attached. The engine is excellent and sturdy. Quality, comfort and fun and you can fit your stuff in it.

Not what they used to be
By jerseygirl on 07/29/08 11:05 AM (PDT)

1998 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

I can't believe there are so many others that have had the same problems...power window, leaking oil, check light always coming on, brakes, tires/alignment, abs, control arm, shift console and now the engine and valves! Some problems couldn't be resolved because every service station (including the dealership) diagnosed it differently. And when the diagnosis was a recalled throttle, Volvo disagreed! Too much money into this car. We justified each repair by reminding ourselves it was a Volvo but no more because they are not what they used to be. The name no longer means anything. (Doesn't Ford own Volvo now anyway?) I'll be buying a Honda or Toyota next. Too bad Volvo isn't what they used to be.

1998 Volvo V70 Wagon
By Pablo on 02/13/08 11:40 AM (PST)

1998 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

It's an expensive car with cheap hardware. It's fun to drive, somewhat economical on gas, fairly comfortable, very expensive to maintain compared to other cars I have owned. I would not buy another Volvo, as much I have always liked and admired them.