Used 1998 Volvo V70 Consumer Reviews - 112 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Volvo V70 - Consumer Reviews

1998 Volvo V70

View reviews for a specific V70 model:

Oh my god repairs. No love after 120k.
By dennisonn

1998 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

First of all, I love this car, and the Volvo brand. This wagon is excellent, and the engine is to die for! Seriously, just stomp on the gas, that makes a believer out of anyone who laughs at the wagon =). That is if your car is working. When my family purchased this car at 80k, no problems at all! Now at 180k Here's an abbreviated list of repairs I have done/paid for in the past 2 years alone. One faulty computer. Three faulty O2 sensors. Two distributor caps (its fun when the cars stalls while it's raining) Front& Rear Axel, Brake pads, and rotors. Sunroof. Timing belt, radiator, heater core. AC system, various electrical issues, Now a new turbo? No thanks. Massive oil leak. ugh.

The seats are amazing, front heated and rear bench. Very fun to drive, lots of muscle. Infallible AWD, (NY snow beware). Sporty look... I could go on and on.

Honestly- after 120k, don't even bother. I read something a fellow reviewer's comment "after a timing belt- don't bother" Yeah that sounds right. I'm sure that with a free mechanic or really deep pockets you can get the car to 300k but until then, I'll pass.

$Love it But Leave It
By ilovemyvolvo

1998 Volvo V70 Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

I love this car. Comfortable, safe, reliable and can get me anywhere. My $5000 purchase of a used car has probably now cost me upwards of $10,000 including repairs. I've owned it for 5 years. Not what i was looking for in purchasing a used vehicle. It's been one thing after another- engine mounts, locks, windows, power steering leak, rear drive shaft now the air pump system. This is not a used vehicle you want to buy if you are not willing to put a lot of $$$ into it. Going back I probably would have settled for something cheaper to repair.

Comfort & Safety.

Small features should not have worn out yet- I know Chrysler owners who have older cars with working parts and my Volvo doesn't.

Good car, but some parts are non durable
By Michael L

1998 Volvo V70 4dr Wagon

This wagon has been very useful and never let me down on the road. I have driven this wagon to different long distance journey and it treated me well. However for a 12 year car with 142,000 miles, I do expect some wear and tear, but for some reason the most critical part of this wagon went out which was the passenger door lock where I couldn't get it to lock and could not get the rear cargo door to lock in it's place and I had to get it repaired otherwise there is possible internal theft. Both front driver and passenger door hinges had to be replaced because they broke of old age which was costly. There are a few more minor wear and tear items that went out.

I like the fact that the transversely mounted 5 cylinder engine is solidly made. This engine looks simple to work on especially when it is non-turbo. The acceleration & braking is smooth and responsive. The transmission feels solid when driving. The operating features are simple & user friendly.

The quality of the door panels, they foamed as a bubble due to old age. Volvo needs to use better quality plastic parts on the armrest cup holders, rear ashtray console, rear cargo door panel, and steering column. I have seen leather seats on these models deteriorate terribly because of low quality.

Great Car!
By Jay W

1998 Volvo V70 Turbo 4dr Wagon AWD

Hands down, this is the best car I've ever owned.
I'm a college student who does his own Preventative Maintenance & turns his own wrenches: Volvos: easy to work on, rugged, simple.
Don't listen to the [non-permissible content removed] get gouged at dealerships.
[non-permissible content removed].

Drive train is bullet proof. safe car. 300K mile car, easily

when VOlvo went to the door mounted window controls, they've got a cheap design on the swithes. Just order switches and change it yourself and shut off NPR and do it yourself instead of griping. Volvos are the easiest to work on and the most well built rugged cars I've seen, and I've seen alot.

truely a volvo!
By XC lover

1998 Volvo V70 XC 4dr Wagon AWD

I love my XC. Has there been some issue's not that Couldn't have been prevented. people Complain about the tires. honestly its AWD you MUST ROTATE THEM EVERY 5K other wise they wear uneven and cause strain on the AWD system! Breaks. its a volvo thing they tend to go through break pads. but if you Change the oil every 5k have tune ups done with OEM parts these cars will keep going! I have 122k now and have no issues, I also have another one that has 236k that i use for camping trips cus it has dents and dings oh and the whole going trough head light bulbs is easy fix just turn the daytime running lights off!

Comfort on long road trips. seems to get best hwy MPG at around 2400rpm or 70mph and 90. iv pushed the car to the max and got 580 miles on 17 gallons

Cup holders. the leather seats don't like sitting in the sun. intermediate wipers!