2011 Tiguan 2.0L turbo rattles!!!
By howieb38 on
2010 Volkswagen Tiguan S 4Motion 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)
I bought this 2011 Tiguan because I also bought a 2010 VW Passat wagon. Unfortunately the Tiguan has an annoying rattle in the engine when ever I accelerate from a stop and cuts out at about 3000 RPM. I've had it to two dealers and they claim it's normal for the engine?? When I explain that I also own a 2010 Passat with the exact same engine and there's no rattle sound, they say "That is normal for this car". I can't believe that VW won't acknowledge that there's a problem. I would return it and buy another brand if I could, but after going back and forth with VW for three months, I'm stuck with this lemon. It's a $40,000 mistake. It's also the last VW I'll ever buy.
Favorite Features
Other then the rattle, it's a pretty good car.
Suggested Improvements
Find a solution to the engine rattle. This is not rocket science. I just think that VW is not addressing it because only some of the 2.0L turbos have the problem according to the VW Owner's web site.
By notloyal
on 07/01/11 04:52 AM (PDT)

2010 Tiguan SE 2.0T (avg MPG 17) Same here! Turbo seemed to be failing, as well as some weird engine surging issue, and since the vehicle was still under warranty, I could not fix it myself, needless to say the dealer claimed the vehicle was operating "within specs", in other words, they did nothing, except charge VW for scheduled maintenance. I am sorry to say, and having owned many VW autos, I will not purchase or lease another VW vehicle, very expensive to repair, and repairs aplenty. If you don't mind spending your free time at the dealership waiting for your vehicle, and you don't mind visiting your local gas station often, then buy this vehicle, otherwise, check out a different auto manufacturer. I was so annoyed and disappointed with this vehicle, I wrote to VWoA and the dealership outlining the various repair and maintenance issues to see if we could come to some type of resolution, and to my amazement, the dealer offered to take the leased vehicle back at no cost to me, although I lost the down payment, but, that's okay, because I got a reliable, fuel efficient and maintanence free Vibe, at half the price. Best decision I've ever made. Drove the AWD Vibe from MI to MT and back, absolutely zero problems, averaged 32 MPG. If you're listening VW, take a lesson from some of the other car manufacturers, and provide the service that you claim you do, and treat your coustomers fairly. The dealership I used was pathetic and I always felt that I was being scammed. I am so glad I got rid of that piece of junk, and I only put 15000 miles on a brand new vehicle in two years... nothing but headaches with the Tiguan.