2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:
Money Pit
By jjroadtrip on 01/10/13 13:09 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GL 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought this car used in 2009, drive only highway miles and this car has been nothing but problems. Last year alone it cost me $6500 in repair bills. VW dealers are no help, even with used car warranty it covers nothing.

2005 Passat
By drcar1 on 04/23/12 08:56 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

To be honest I haven't had any problems with my 2005 VW. It has worked great, it is fun to drive maybe too fun....I get a lot of speeding tickets in it and I've been pulled over several times going like 5-10 over so maybe it looks fast too!? As for everything else I get regular inspections on the car and it works great. Just have to take car of it. Take it to the dealership at least once a year to run diagnostics and you're good to go.

Poor choice
By jlub on 05/08/11 18:47 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Enjoyed the car when first purchased, Great performance and fun to drive. Then the problems started at about 12,500 miles and haven;t stopped. Have spent more than 8,000 in maintenance and repairs with no help in correcting poor reliability. Biggest problems have been replacing 8 coils (even 2 after recall). Engine light has been on for over a year and they can not find the problem. Just spent 500 on electrical issues which are not repaired. Some of the problems: 1) 8 coils replaced. 2) Triptronic transmission doesn't work in manual. Never fixed as it is over $2000 by VW dealer. 3) AC went out, not getting power. 4) Oil light comes on regularly...waiting for the sludge problem. Bad Choice!

Beware VW Fans!!!!
By iblackwell on 04/22/11 18:05 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GL 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

After owning VW's for years this will be my last. I actually traded the Passat today for a BMW and I couldn't be more relieved. The problems and repairs have been unending from the start. Under 3 mo. old, the sunroof leaked and all of the carpet had to be replaced, I have replaced (3) Front axles, a valve cover gasket, numerous sensors, the thermastat, (3) window regulators, motor mounts, Both headlights because they turned white after three years and wouldn't pass inspection. I even had to replace the antenna and the oil dip stick because they fell apart. Lastly the interior trim peeled off (VW sprays a coating over plastic - ???) All this at 75000 miles! The services every 5K are COSTLY!

Bad Decision
By bauerinav on 01/28/11 21:32 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought a 2005 Passat in Nov, 2010 (less than 2 months ago). It's been in the shop 5 times already with the engine light on. Each time its supposedly fixed, yet within 2 weeks the light is back on again. Thank God it's still under warranty - car only has 60k miles on it! Issues have been:misfire, MAF, oxygen sensor, computer update, and vacuum seal. I'm beginning to think the car will need to be traded in before the warranty expires! VW has not been helpful at all. Wanted a vehicle with a great service department - have yet to experience that. Should've kept my Saturn - at 150k miles it had less issues!

Everything was great, until...
By Lisa on 08/25/10 23:18 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GL 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I have had this car for 5 years. It was doing great until I hit the 75,000 miles. I drive about 72 miles a day, so I understand that the ware and tear is a lot more then others. I had a warranty up to 100,000 and right when it passed 100,000 the "oil pressure STOP" light went on. According to what I have read, it looks like these models have a sludge problem. It looks like they have been having this problem for most of their passat models. They do have an extended warranty for 99-04, but not 05. Also, they make it hard to cover, because they want EVERY SINGLE piece of documentation of oil change services. Now I'm stuck with this car, trying to figure out if it's worth fixing or get rid of it

This car awful
By Liza on 08/06/10 08:25 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I have had this car for only a year and a half and I have had the coils replaced twice ($400.00 each). Then I experienced a crack in the cylinder head which cost me $3,800.00 to fix. My mechanic said that such a crack should not happen to a car that had less than 100,000 miles on it. Furthermore, it shouldn't happen to a car that hasn't overheated (which mine didn't) which basically points to bad materials used in the part itself. Besides the mechanical flubs, the oil changes are very expensive $80, because it has a "turbo". Honestly, there is no point for a turbo in this car since it runs worse than most 4 cylinder sedans without one. I hate my car.

Another one with "Oil Sludge" issues...
By lonzom10 on 07/09/10 13:17 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I've owned this car for over 2 years and it is in constant need of repair. The AC has went out twice, the Coils have had to be replaced, the front axles replaced due to the boots cracking and now the infamous "Oil Sludge" problem which VW says they will not cover even though all but 3 oil changes were completed at the dealer and I have provided them copies of the other 3 receipts. After looking online at all the other 05' 1.8 turbo owners with the same problem, it would appear that the issue was not resolved from 04' to 05'. Needless to say I will never by a VW again. What can we as a group do to address this issue with VW?

Worst Car Ever
By Rainey on 04/24/10 22:35 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GLS 1.8T 4Motion AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this car used learned my lesson. No one writes reviews of the long term problems. A lot of electrical problems down the road. The gas mileage isn't all that wonderful either when you travel back and forth about a 100 miles a day. Mechanics don't like to work on these cars because they are so difficult to work with. And it is just a money pit. It would be a great car I'm sure brand new, don't buy it used.

Disappointed in my Passat
By Bernie on 08/18/09 12:17 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Passat Sedan GL 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I cannot wait to squirrel away enough money to replace my car, with a non-VW model. I used to be that person that would defend VW and my car selection, but no more. After three recalls, multiple ignition coils going out, faulty electronics and the bottom panel of my car falling out on the freeway, I am done with this car. Not to mention it is a boring sedan. There is nothing outstanding about this car, aside from my repair bills.