1999 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Review: Fun Car / Not Reliable

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Review

GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Fun Car / Not Reliable
By m_dsdrc on

1999 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

I love the design of the 1999 Volkswagen Beetle. It's the cutest car ever made. But it is poorly put together. What ever is made of plastic in that car is going to break. I have had to replace all the window switches in it. And now I cant use my CD player because the plastic switches on the radio have broken. My flex plate in the engine craked and had to be replaced. The actual part only cost $36 but it ended up costing me $800 after labor. So it's not that the parts are expensive is the difficulty to replace things in the car. I had to also replace my alternator, air conditioner, and the window units. My fuel door will not open from the inside If they would just fix all these minor problems it would be an exellent car!

Favorite Features

I love the design inside and out. I also love how it handles. It goes around curves really well, it feels like you are stuck to the road. The car does not vibrate when you reach higher speeds for on the intersate. It has plenty of room inside.

Suggested Improvements

Make the stuff (ex. switches, and radio buttons) that are made of plastic stronger. Better leather. The leather tends to get wear down quickly.