2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Don't Buy!!!
By ssg91 on 11/14/14 08:44 AM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel New TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I bought this car for the purpose of getting great MPG. Although you do get good MPG you spend so much more money in maintenance that are you farther behind. My car has 162,000 miles on it. The dealership says the dual mass flywheel is bad, Alternator pulley is bad, Axel, and a few other things. If I would fix everything that the dealership says needs to be fixed I would spend more money than the car is valued at on kelley blue book. If you have this car, sell is as quickly as possible before it turns into a boat anchor.... I am getting a ford fusion.

7 years and counting
By walter67 on 06/13/12 13:11 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

1st owner of my 2005 Jetta Diesel, have station wagon auto trans. Travel from North East to Florida each year, so it has avoided winter salty roads. I've replace the timing belt at 85,000 miles to be on safe side. Will need new rubber on my struts both normal ware. Still have original brake pads at 90,000 miles at every oil change I expect to be told its time to change so far not yet. Fuel economy.... average 34 to 39 miles per gallon I can get 42 miles on a gallon if I drive at my RPM sweet spot which is 38 to 41 miles an hour, at that speed you will get the 42 per gallon. Would I buy this vehicle again YOU BETCHA I would. Paid $21,5000 in Jan of 20005

Great Car
By Bellyman on 10/06/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Ive had this car for 4 years and it blew a turbo at 80 000 km and the dc bus to the glow plugs at 90 km but it was all covered by vws excellent warranty and i havent had any problems since and i have 225 000 km on it now, would definately buy another.Great in the snow and of course mileage is unbeatable.

Great Car, can't beat TDI-
By Geoff on 08/17/09 03:42 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel New TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Nothing but good things to say about this one. I have had four other VWs, and I enjoy this the most in terms of reliability and looks. NO major problems after 150k miles, TDI still feels like new, fuel filter does need to be changed every 20k, otherwise will feel loss of power. No problems with knobs, wiring, other than rear latch can be difficult to use in really cold. I guess the worst thing was engine sway mount did break, causing engine to torque more under load. Have hit 65MPG on highway-only driving doing 60mph!

Never go without a warranty
By gunz20 on 07/14/09 09:47 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel New TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Our first import car. TDI is great for fuel economy. Problems; we hit 20000 miles & had to replace the fuel filter. Could have been bad diesel fuel, but paid because its suggested to be replaced every 20000 miles. Vehicle now has 64000, no problems since. Trunk lid latch doesn't work in cold weather. Got it replaced under warranty, now it doesn't work again and no warranty to help. Most recent, driver side door electrical harness went out, leaving me with no controls, no way lock car or open up the fuel tank door. VW wants $500 to repair. Dealer said passenger door is going out, another $500. Also, we have replaced several, blown exterior light bulbs, some multiple times.

Maintenance expensive, had some trouble
By HighMileage on 02/01/09 13:16 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I put over 230000 km in 4 years on my Jetta. It did stay remarkably tight. Parts I had to replace include 5 wheel bearings, a dozen headlight bulbs, a new turbo for $2400., a fuel pump for $550., a turbo hose, various front end parts, e-brake cables etc. The fuel mileage is good and you think you are getting ahead but you pay it all back for the $100 oil changes and $300 every 32000km for fuel filters. My other complaint is the electrical systems, had intermittent trouble with headlights and my door lock system. For a while there I thought I owned HERBIE. Lastly, everybody loves the heated seats because a TDI takes 30 minutes of driving to actually heat up. HELLO TOYOTA HERE I COME.

TDI Horror
By John on 10/30/08 11:29 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

My TDI was great until I hit 60000 miles then a check engine light came on. Replaced sensors, cooling kit, thermostat and the intake flap motor 3 times. Check engine light still on and VW won't take any responsibility for faulty design on flap motors. I've spent over $2,000 already. Owners of TDIs beware!!!! Sell your car before it goes out of warranty because VW will not stand behind thier product.

So far so good
By who needs a hybrid? on 08/30/08 19:02 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel New TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Purchased new in 9/05, paid full sticker, no dealer shopped would budge on price so it came down to color/options. First diesel car ever owned and would definitely buy another one. Car seems as quiet/powerful as the 1.8 gas, mileage averages over 40mpg, 80% highway driving with the automatic. Surprising reliability as an '86 GLI I owned fell apart around 75K miles of hard driving. Gripes, I once owned a '04 Passat and was much more comfortable behind the wheel, I'm only 6' tall, the center console protrudes too much into my right leg. Also, the cruise control controls belong on the steering wheel, like the Passat. Otherwise no other major complaints other than I wish diesel was cheaper!

Best vehicle purchase EVER!!
By cdstraw on 06/04/08 04:59 AM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Absolutely fabulous vehicle. Purchased as New Jetta's were hitting showroom and dealer wanted to clear out old inventory. Within 3 months dealer wanted to purchase TDI back and give me and exceptional trade on New Jetta. No Way! Average city driving 46-48 mpg, Interstate at 65 mph cruise, 60 mpg!

Can be improved
By Walter on 11/19/07 15:19 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Have one ongoing problem, it's the road clearance under car, you will bottom out on road dips (not potholes) just thoses waves and dips that you cannot see. This has caused the dust panel behind front bumper to fall off. You will hit this panel entering and leaving driveways etc. There is just not enough clearance under car. I estimate the clearance under my Jetta to be approx. 2 to 3 inches at most. Is this legal? Local mecanic suggested that mybe Volkswagon might have stiffer front springs to lift car a little higher, will check soon. Good fuel economy but you lose a little of what you save from the pumps when you pay high, very high oil changes.