Over-priced, over-hyped
By adr8 on
2011 Volkswagen GTI PZEV 4dr Hatchback w/Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)
BAD turbo lag, LONG delay on multiple downshifts with DSG, poor lateral support from standard seats, small gas tank, audio interface is full of bugs (my car has been in 4 times already; it ate my cd's & the dealer couldn't extract them), iPod interface is horrible & slow. Passenger door alignment was poor. Lots of creaks from the body as you drive. If you're a halfway serious driver, avoid this car; at least get the stick-shift. The DSG will will leave you for dead in any "competitive" situation. It doesn't even get good mileage. I get 13.9mpg in combined city/highway driving with a somewhat leaden foot. I do really like the cars' exterior and interior design and its' good quality materials.
Favorite Features
Interior design & materials. Dynaudio sounds great. Exterior design ( I like hatchbacks).
Suggested Improvements
VW needs newer, better engine, at least for a performance oriented car. Fix turbo-lag. Fix DSG. Get a high quality audio supplier. Lighten the car.
By iisgenius
on 06/10/11 17:26 PM (PDT)

Huh? I drove my friend's 2011 GTI for two days. The DSG Tranny was absolutely perfect and the lag is hardly, hardly noticeable. The car's weight is pefectfly fine given its size. I think you must have gotten a lemon?

By crazy4honda
on 12/25/11 21:10 PM (PST)

Glad I'm not alone. I keep seeing these comments saying "great low end torque" and wonder what are these guys thinking. Honestly I can't tell if it has turbo lag or not, because I can never feel any appreciable rush of power from idle to redline. Maybe my mazdaspeed 3 spoiled me with the power it had. Don't get me wrong, the gti is very classy and grown up compared to the ms3 and handles like a dream but when it comes to power this thing is much slower than it's 63 hp deficit on paper suggests.

By xneb
on 06/05/11 13:53 PM (PDT)

turbo lag with a ko3 turbo? I guess someone that has never driven a turbo may think that, but really there is no lag.