Used 2011 Volkswagen GTI Autobahn Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Volkswagen Gti - Consumer Reviews

2011 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback

View reviews for a specific GTI model:

Exactly What I Expected and Thought I Wanted.
By bwschubert

2011 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback Autobahn 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I feel this car has delivered exactly what was promised based on reputation and car magazine reviews. It is fun to drive, especially with the sweet shifting manual and quickly spooling engine, the ergonomics are exactly aligned to how I think, and the hatchback practicality is obviously a big plus. I have had absolutely zero reliability issues over 16,000 miles and 13 months and have not experienced any poor customer service when I have been to the dealership. After a over a year though, I cannot stand the leather seats as they are not perforated and are always disgustingly hot, and the exterior styling looks cheap from some angles.

Favorite Features

Excellent interior design and quality, auto adjusting bi-xenon headlights are great at night, interior features, practicality, fun to drive, open feeling greenhouse with large side windows.

Suggested Improvements

Perforated leather!! More power, RWD (don't tell me I could have got the Golf R, it is a rip off at $35,000 with minimal performance increases), more exciting styling, more than 4 A/C fan speeds.

Fun and sensible
By GTIGR

2011 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback Autobahn 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Coming from Acura, I don't miss a bit of luxury. Actually the GTI makes much more sense. It's extremely well-built with a logical and spartan/germanic layout. Navigation and ipod integration work smoothly and fast. The leather seats are very comfy and supportive while the interior is much more spacious than you think. I left the powertrain last. It's a blast to drive the GTI. Whether commuting or playing, it just brings a smile. I had a VW in 2003, so I was afraid of VW's reliability... But GTI has come a long way. It's not as reliable as my 2009 TSX but it's quite close. Actually you wouldn't want GTI to become Japanese... you definitely want it to stay German: a toy and a commuter.

Favorite Features

engine, manual transmission, understated but elegand looks, simple and high quality interior, navi

Suggested Improvements

18" wheels are not for everybody and every road. While I prefer a firm ride, a 17" choice should be default

More fun than than I thought possible
By dr_pangloss

2011 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback Autobahn 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I was expecting to buy an Audi A4 or A3 and I drove the GTI on a whim. It's a good thing that I did this because I bought the the 2011 model almost immediately. This car is unbelievably fun to drive and it's economical, practical, reasonably priced (29k for the Autobahn package) and compares very favorably to every other car in it's class. The interior has an Audi build quality but costs a couple k less and the VW warranty is now better than Audi. The amenities included in many ways trump the Audis as well. For instance, the Bluetooth package on the GTI has the A2DP streaming protocol included as part of the base features. Not on the Audis, you'll pay extra & lose your iPod integration too.

Favorite Features

Driving characteristics. The GTI hugs the road and immediately pops as soon as you ask for power. The stock Detroit 18" wheels are also a very nice touch and your need the wide tires to handle all the torque produced by the engine. Be aware that you'll probably need to buy Winter wheels if you live in northern latitudes. The GTI's stock setup is not going to get you through heavy snow very effectively. I purchased a nice set of snow tires & rims for $750 and put them on myself. A small price to pay for this much fun.

Suggested Improvements

It would be nice if the phone interface would be able to transfer my contact addresses to the satellite navigation system. It seems odd to me that this level of integration was overlooked by the designers.