2003 Volkswagen Golf GLS Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
VW is a whole new standard of automobile
By VW4Life on 09/08/08 19:21 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first economic vehicle, and my first Volkswagen. You can easily fit people inside, or lay the rear seats and fit lots of stuff inside. The quality of vehicle compared to all other makes is amazing. Everything from the drive to the notice to detail interior. This car is fun, stylish, reliable, and economic. Once you get in a VW you're hooked.

Great Little Car
By weebs86 on 09/03/08 17:20 PM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is great! I love everything about it but the main reason why I'm writing this review is because of the lack of information about the audio system online. My car has the Monsoon system, and man oh man, is it awesome. I have a friend who has a Chevy Trailblazer with the Bose system and this thing is seriously just as good. Here are the specs, straight from the owners manual: 4 tweeters at 20 Watts each (Two in front, two in back), 2 Woofers (Front Doors) at 30 Watts Each and - get this - 2 Subwoofers at 30 watts each (rear doors) = 180 total watts. Sure, 60 watts for the combined subs doesn't quite match aftermarket subs of 1000s of watts, but TRUST me, you'll be plenty happy.

Golf
By dleecycles on 07/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a super fun drive. Lots of interior room with the seats down. The car gets pretty good gas mileage.

Love my GLS
By Dave in Bay Area on 01/29/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Researched different cars on Edmunds, glad I did! I even got it at the TMV price with Monsoon system, sunroof, Alloys, and winter package. Seat warmers are nice even in California! I am very happy with the design, "feels" better than other cars I test drove. Plenty of power... if I wanted more I would have gotten the turbo, but that might mean more maintenance$. Nice to have all the airbags also.

My 3rd
By Sammyyou on 01/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I haven't had a single problem with my golfs,owened 3 of them and all i had to do is normal oil change and brakes. the only thing is the rear seat space,i'm sure it'll be better in the 2004 new style, MY 4th Golf..

It's my 3-d VW Golf. May be the last.
By MrBob on 08/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It's my 3-d VW Golf at a row and may be the last. I bought it slightly used, just because I want to have German assembled Golf. And what I find out - each new Golf generation increasing driving fun and loosing QUALITY. So far it's a first time when I'm considering to buy another car but not Golf5.

my golf
By taz on 07/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

very nice and fun to drive in manual

Great Smalll Car
By AtlantaAl on 04/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Compared to all other small cars, the Golf wins as the best quality and best value. No car at $16K to $19K is perfect, but the Golf is the closest. At 3000 lbs., with 8 airbags, standard 4-wheel anti-lock disks, and available ESP, it is the safest. It is also fun to drive, with solid handling and a remarkably compliant ride for small a car. High resale value makes VWs the only econoboxes that are worth leasing.