2003 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
2003 VW Golf GL 2.0L
By Golf owner on 07/14/09 03:38 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2003 vw golf GL 2.0L with only 35,000 miles on it. I love this car. Its not a sports car by all means, but even with just the 2.0L it goes like a bat outta hell. I was iffy on buying another VW because my sister has a 02' jetta 1.8t and to my knowledge of people whom have owned that engine. They hate it, always in & out the shop (mostly transmission problems and just everything goes wrong in it). Hints why I bought a 2.0L. LOVE IT There's always been VW in my family, dad had an old beetle, and a square back.

Best Car I've Owned
By VeeDubber on 05/24/07 08:49 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car. In the past I owned a '95 Honda Accord and a '98 Jeep Cherokee. The Golf has been a lot more reliable than either of those. It has plenty of horsepower for me. I drive 64 miles round trip to and from work and it gets great gas mileage. I'll definitely go with another VW when it comes time to get a new car.

Great City Car
By charles huff on 01/23/07 13:04 PM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I traded in my 1993 5-speed Golf for a used 2003 VW Golf 2-door hatchback, auto, 2.0L,silver, and WOW what a car. Its handling is great. It is very comfortable to drive. It makes city driving less of a stop and go nuisance as it is with a stick. The smooth transmission just glides all over the city. Its handling on the freeway is like flying an airplane. This car is easy to drive and park.

One word: Boring.
By Bahumut on 10/11/05 09:20 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've read all the reviews for the 2003 VW Golf GL on this site, and I can't tell if everyone is over the age of 60 or just emotionally tired, but this car puts me to sleep at the wheel, and often! The 120 HP engine is fast enough for me, thus the GL works, but if I had test driven the car longer, I would have realized the the suspension is really, really tame. The car wallows in turns, the back end (even with the short wheelbase)trembles mid corner, and the nose dives under the most gentle of braking. If I could choose a VW again, it'd cope with the reliability problems of the turbocharger and buy the GTi. Other than the performance issues, the standard kit is surprisingly nice for the price.

5speed manual a must!
By Steve Theisen on 09/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Wow i got an '03 2.0L first day i was liting up the tires, whoah!, what a fun car. The 5 speed gave the car so much more spunk compared to the automatic. (I took both for test drives unless you get the tiptronic auto the car is lame!) The handling is just excellent but than again what else would you expect from the best of the best German autos (VW, AUDI, BMW) you always have excellent handling and no lack of power. Also remember 5k miles for oil is way too much. Trust people that have 270k+ miles on there car.

03 Golf
By pete63 on 01/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

After coming out of an 01 Honda Civic I must say that the Golf is a much better value. I had always liked VW's but never owned one. I test drove the Golf and Jetta. Both were awesome cars. For the price VW loads the options on. The only thing that VW could improve is the gas mileage.

Golf Fun, even after Audi A4
By Bob E. on 09/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

After owning an Audi A4, I am surprisingly happy with the Golf. The handling, quietness and comfort are very close to the A4. I was disappointed at first with the fuel mileage, but after slowing down to 65 MPH on the highway, I actually got 40 MPG. My only complaint is that 5th gear revs too high. At 65 MPH, I'm at 3200 RPM.

Test drive before you buy a competitor
By Aexcorp on 08/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car, even with it's not so impressive specs (115hp and not an amazing amount of torque) is quite amazing to drive. I have the 5 speed manual, and I can tell you, it's sportive if you drive it right (downshifts...). The build quality is excellent, all comes standard, it's near perfection. I have read the reviews on this site, and most people say it's not powerful enough, but most (editor and users) have an auto box. What in God's name do you expect from that... Take a spin in a 5speed manual and you will realize the hidden potential.

golfmania
By RGLAMR on 07/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I test drove the honda civic, mazda 6, and a couple of other predomanatly asian builtcars, and nothing against those companys but the vw blows all of them out of the water, can't compare that german engineering.

Not quite as bulletproof as promised
By dusty_d on 06/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

he Brazilian Golf seems a little more fragile than it's German bretheren. Sure the plastics are still top notch, the interior well designed and the shut line laser tight but there are hust a few too many problems. Windshield wipers that snapped in the first half mile, a dashboard that worked loose by 2000 miles, a passenger airbag that failed and had to be replaced at 5,000 and some very fragile wheel hubs and you see why my confidence has been a little shaken.