2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:
Fun car with good value
By pec4ad on 07/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my Golf GLS 5M on the last of Year 2001, now have 6000 miles on the odo. Great performance, beating many sport cars at the stop lights. Lots of fun to drive and good value for the money. The car did have some minor problems, I got three parts changed under warranty and one recall. So far satisfied with the purchase.

so so
By golf on 06/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I just bought a GLS a week ago. The check engine light was on 2 days later after I took it home. The dealer said it was caused by loosed fuel tank cap and fixed it. A week later, I added more gas into the tank and tighten the cap, the check engine turn on again just in 1 day. I have to take my car to see dealer for 2nd time in 9 days. I heard that VW would replace the car if the same problem appears in a year/10,000mile, I do wish this is true, but who knows?

Lemon or Not
By Ladybug on 06/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my 3rdtime taking the 02 Golf in for service. The 1st problem -the auto transmission would get stuck in Park, and thus wasn't driveable. Dealer first made "an adjustment" which subsequently was unsuccessful. 2nd time I brought the car for service, they replaced a "celanoid-something" to correct it. I've taken the car in for the 3rd time because there is sometimes a long delay engaging into Drive or Reverse. Upon engaging, the car jerks. When having an intermittent problem like this, it is hard for service dept. to fix, if they haven't encountered it. Next they will reprogram the transmission control board

VW cars- THE BEST UNDER $20000!!!
By Flanker on 06/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We have a 2000 Jetta and a 2001 Golf. They are great! Just great! Quality, design, convenience, features, price, gas milage... We can go on and on and on. They often ask me "is there anything you regret about these cars, there must be something" to a guy like that I say "yes I do regret that I did not buy them much sooner" PERIOD

review
By Bpugac2925 on 06/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

VW should close it's faxtory in Mexico. Too many problems with VW Golf GLS 2.0 Ring job (At 18000 miles to reduce oil cosumtion), passenger power window (twice), headlight, poor gas mileage (should do 33-35 on highway), Great expectations,poor reality.

GOLF - Simply awesome
By Hogan Jr. on 06/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I considered the Focus, Saturn, Civic, and Sentra before I finally settled on my Golf. Don't let the 115 HP fool you. It's got some umph!! The Golf feels like it should be $5,000 more than it costs. The Monsoon sounds great and the Indiglo Blue looks great. Heated seats, washers, and mirrors will be nice come December. Crash data an added plus.

good car
By baja on 05/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my golf in 2000. This is a nice car,brakes good,handeling in courves is great,looks good,nice interior,has a lot features for a decent price

Best hatchback for the buck
By donthasslemeimlocal on 05/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My 4 door Golf GL with 5 speed transmission is one of the best purchases I have ever made. The attention to detail in the exterior and the interior is amazing. Everything is very well made and durable. I only have 400 miles on it so far, but the gas milage is already superb. The hatchback design is very useful, and the two extra doors in the back really provide extra utility. Looks and feels way more expensive than it is. People who sit in it don't believe me when I tell them it only cost me $15,095 (before tax of course). If you are considering a focus, civic, lancer or the like I urge you to test drive one of these.

AWESOME VALUE FOR THE $
By JumpinJohnnyRocket on 05/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my 4th VW. I had two 97's and a 99 Jetta. Build quality is exceptional, materials are pure German. I added 16inch BBS Wolfsberg wheels and tires for much improved handling. I have always been a huge fan of the GTI but for value reasons I chose the GL. The GTI offers much sportier engine and suspension but it was not worth the additional $3700. Standard features are abundant. I love this little box..

Great Little Driving Machine
By BocaBoy65 on 05/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I'm hooked on German Engineering. The way my Golf handles still amazes me. Wethor driving on slick roads, ice, or sharp turns, my car effortlessly careens me thru. This handling EATS tires so make sure you ROTATE. The interior design is also awsome. The color of the dashboard lights, the placement of controls, the seat pattern design and the chrome extras all make up an impressive look that is always complimented when someone gets in my car. Interior hardware not so good. Visor lights, side view mirror and seat handles all broke within first month.Gas milage is just ok.