Used 2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Golf model:

Can't beat it
By chukchi

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Its been a little over two years and 60k miles since I purchased my Golf. I have owned 3 other VWs. This one maintains the good VW qualities and has fixed most of the bad ones. The safety features are untouchable by other cars in its price range and many of the more expensive cars on the market. Handling and performance are more than acceptable. I average 31-33mpg with mostly highway and backroad driving. The only problems I have had are minor (broken window clips, cracked window moldings, loose wiper fluid hose in hatch). The best characteristic is the cargo space. I fit a new dishwasher with all its packaging in the back, with room to spare.

Cargo Space, safety features (standard 4- wheel discs, head curtain airbags, side airbags, best crash test results in its class), VW personality and handling, full size spare tire, telescoping steering wheel

front cup holder placement needs to be re- thought

Japanese for me
By No Good

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Just like all of the other reviews here on Edmunds - drives and looks great with poor build quality and reliability (2002 model). In two years I have had it to the shop 7 times, including 1 tow. Lots of rattles from the dash and vents, broken radio and window motor, frozen doors (it snows/rains in Germany, right?), wouldn’t shift out of park so I needed a tow to the dealer and now I have noticed the burning oil at 27K (smells like a 2-cycle motor the first 10 sec after starting in the cold). Average 24mpg with 70% highway driving.

Large rear space with seats folded down, roof rack mounts under the rain gutters, looks and drive.

Trips to the dealer every 2-3 months for repairs are getting old and waste time. Will keep the car until warranty is up and buy an Acura, Infiniti or Lexus next.

So far So good
By audiPhile

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought mine new and have 28K miles on it. My left headlight and the right brake light didn't work at 27 K. Had to take it to dealer and replaced it(Warranty). I haven't had any engine problems at all except that it drinks a lot of oil and I keep 2 quarts in my trunk. I asked the dealer last week and he told me to bring in next time the oil shows half in the dip stick and they would do an oil consumption test. One more thing. My doors get stuck in freezing winter and have to use force to open. Recently I hear light noise from my AC grill. Got to get it done soon! But overall I like my car. Has been very reliable and fun and looks nice!

* Blue instrumentation lighting. Every one who gets in your car will compliment about it! * The key fobs. Looks cool. * 8 speaker audio system. * 4 airbags for driver and passenger. * Many standard features that a miserly Honda or Toyota will charge you or wont give you.

* Do something about the oil consumption problem. Many people have complained it. * The seat covers are a lint magnet. Need more than normal maintenance. * Cupholders. Keep it somewhere else. * Doors squeak slightly.

Need improvement
By X_VW_Fan

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Had this car with manual tranny for 21 months. Basically I am happy with the performance and still think this is a fun-to-drive car. Quality is a biiiig problem. So far dealer had to fix/change clutch swtich, rear lid strut and power window. Today, the radio is dead.

Safety features, heated front seats, all the convenient lights, hooks, and power outlet under the hatch.

Little more hp and better mpg from the 2.0L engine. Improve the quality and reliability.

Really happy with my first VW
By mpayne

2002 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first exp. owning a VW and I am very pleased so far. This car is deceivingly roomy, esp. in the trunk. My Golf is so much fun to drive and it's great on gas mileage ( I always use midgrade gas, that seems to make a difference). I have had no problems with the service department, actually they have been very helpful. The only problems we've encountered so far are the doors freezing shut in the winter. The door seals on both front doors were ripped/broken in the process of trying to pry the doors open. Service dept. has taken care of this with no charge.

This car is a lot of fun to drive. The interior blue dash is so cool and soothing when you're driving at night. If you can afford to get the Monsoon sound system it is definitely worth it! Love the body style and interior -- very comfortable and roomy for a compact car.

Change design of shape so moisture, snow, rain don't get trapped in between door and frame -- doors can freeze shut. Change the seat recliner adjustor to a regular lever -- knob is too hard to turn to recline seat.