An impressive small car
By jscion on
2013 Toyota Yaris L 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)
I just replaced my Scion xA with a Yaris L 5-door in Classic Silver and I have to say that I really like this car a lot. I'm so glad that Toyota did away with the awful center mounted gauges. I had those in my Scion xA and grew to hate the whole setup after a few years. The interior in the Yaris is extremely well designed with easy to use controls, nice materials and very good fit and finish. It feels like a much larger, more expensive car than it actually is and drives great in the city, on the thruway, and even in the snow and ice. Out the door with tax and everything, the Yaris was a very reasonable $17,700. The Yaris is also one on the most reliable cars you can buy.
Favorite Features
I really like the green ECO light on the dashboard that lights up when you're driving economically. That really helps to save on gas. The stereo is also extremely impressive for a base model sub-compact. You get six, flawless sounding speakers with iPOD and auxiliary ports. That's not usually standard at this price level. The large, single front windshield wiper is awesome and works amazingly well for clearing snow off in a single swipe. The steering wheel design is one of the coolest little quirks about this car. It's smaller in size, fatter in the 10 and 2 position, and flat on the bottom coupled with tight yet light feeling steering is quite impressive for a car at this price point
Suggested Improvements
The worst feature about this car is the 4-speed auto transmission and it's your only choice. It shifts too quickly through the gears at lower speeds and feels harsh and unresponsive at times. This transmission ruins an otherwise modern, refined car.