Used 2008 Toyota Yaris Base Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 53 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Yaris model:

Feels like it was just built at 108k
By Calvin Luchs

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

A hand full of these had intermittent water pump failure. this was pretty rare, but if you're looking used inspect near the water pump for pink crust, it's a dead give away. That out of the way, I am a regular sized college student. I got this to be reliable, hearty, and get good fuel economy. I have slammed 15000 miles on it in the year I've owned it, and It has had literally nothing wrong. No squeaks, rattles, nothing. I put oil in it. That is it. If you're a guy living in america, your buddies may jag you off about this car at first but the fact of the matter is I drove to my friends house to help him fix his Lincoln in my little Toyota. Another friend with a jeep attempted to join us but his car caught fire. You will outlast anything but perhaps old Honda motorcycles with this car.

For some anecdotal stuff:
-I have driven in one pittsburgh winter and with half life all seasons I had no trouble getting up steep, 4 to 5 inch deep snow packed gradients. AWD cop cars were sliding down the hill past me, but the yaris kept on going.
-I put my girlfriend, her dog and it's crate, and a week and a half worth of food in the back (Seats down) and drove 790 miles to Maryland and averaged 39 mpg doing it. coming back i actually got 42. On a straight highway drive at 60 miles per hour i can actually get 49 mpg reliably, with the 5 speed manual.
-I learned to drive stick in this car, and even with me buggering the clutch repeatedly while learning, The shifts are quick and easy, and the clutch is a little on the tighter side when new, but it wears nicely and lasts a long time.

There is nothing difficult about working on this car, and usually i don't need to jack it up for routine maintenance because it sits rather high on it's wheels, which also gives good visibility.
The suspension isn't sophisticated, but it works pretty well, and the seats are awesome. You can take some pretty serious bumps without suffering in this car.
Had one minor accident, sun got in my eyes and I lost sight of the road and at about 15 miles an hour slammed into a lady in a big old saturn station wagon. No damage whatsoever.
Tires are cheap as dirt, and so is just about everything else for this car.
Overall I love it. and If you're worried your more "Merica" friends will give you garbage, they probably will, but by the time their dodge has eaten it's 9th transmission in 45k miles, they'll come to love the car of the person who's repeatedly bailed them out and helped keep their scrap on the road :)
Comfy, reliable, cheap and easy to fix and run, and everything is bolted together to a german- like standard of build quality, with a toyota- like standard of precision and engineering. Fantastic car.

The Most Reliable Car Ever
By teamyaris

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

First, a little about myself.
I am a 55 year old male who has owned more than a dozen cars in his lifetime, including trucks, SUVs, minivans, and a variety of small cars including Hondas, Toyotas, and Fords, dating back to the 1970s.
Without a doubt, this is the most reliable and lowest cost of ownership car I have ever owned.
I bought it new for $12,000 and it is now nearing 100K miles.
Other than oil changes and topping off the fluids, and changing tires, it is maintenance free.
Manual transmission has been fun to drive, easy to keep up with the traffic flow at speeds up to 70 mph.
Mileage is 38-42mpg.
Who needs a hybrid?
Headroom is fine and the hatchback is convenient.

Reliability and quality of exterior design and 38-42mpg.

Add a driver's side armrest? Other than that, can't think of anything.

camshaft
By mselder

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have a toyota yaris and this car is good on gas and reliable. however it went from good to bad in no time. I use my car to commute to/from work and i drove 150 miles per day. I got a oil change on april 16th and the 23rd my camshaft broke with no clear reason why. there was evidence of oil burns and foul play i don't think. I'm thinking that the camshaft was faulty and finally gave out or toyota yaris 2008 is no good after 84,000 miles.

There have been many recall for yaris 2008. I seen many people complaining about break pads or something to that nature.
but if you google recall there have be some recalls.

My car should not be having my major engine problem especially before 120,ooo

very pleased
By heatherx360

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in February after my volkswagen beetle and bmw both croaked, and costed over 5500.00 to repair each.
I didnt like it at first but fell in love after. The style it cute, plenty of room, better mpg than prius cost is almost half, doesnt have all that eletrical junk that seems to always fail, cheap to fix and easy to work on, cheap car but everything is built with great quality unlike volkswagens cheap plastic everything, very easy to park. Im a delivery driver and couldnt ask for a better car. Parents owned 7 toyotas and none had less than 250k miles one had 326k still running today. the yaris has everything plus the toyota reliability and it wont break your bank

I really love everything about this car

could use a 6th gear

Biggest little car!
By Snowy

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This has been a great car and has exceeded my expectations. I wanted a plain old manual transmission with no other gadgets and amazingly found a used one for sale. I bought this car for gas mileage and was expecting it to be a compromise in other ways but IT IS NOT! I consistently get 29 to 32 MPG without trying to maximize fuel economy and have gotten 42 on one road trip. The size of this car is deceiving and there is plenty of room inside. With the backseat down I have been able to fit anything I need and I have even transported a medium sized desk with the hatch fully closed! It's fun, smooth, quiet and handles great! I've had a bunch of cars but I couldn't be more pleased with it.

I love the position of the cup holders and it's right where it needs to be for maximum convenience. The drivers side glove box and all the other storage areas and bottle holders in the doors and rear are great. I'm astounded at the amount of rear passenger and cargo room in such a small vehicle.

I have a huge problem with the fact that the taillights do not go on when the headlights go on automatically. I am looking for a way to modify it. The position of the wiper lever is a bit awkward and often gets bumped on during normal steering and smears the window messing up my visibility.