2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Yaris model:
camshaft
By mselder on 04/30/13 16:35 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have a toyota yaris and this car is good on gas and reliable. however it went from good to bad in no time. I use my car to commute to/from work and i drove 150 miles per day. I got a oil change on april 16th and the 23rd my camshaft broke with no clear reason why. there was evidence of oil burns and foul play i don't think. I'm thinking that the camshaft was faulty and finally gave out or toyota yaris 2008 is no good after 84,000 miles. There have been many recall for yaris 2008. I seen many people complaining about break pads or something to that nature. but if you google recall there have be some recalls. My car should not be having my major engine problem especially before 120,ooo

very pleased
By heatherx360 on 08/03/12 10:23 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in February after my volkswagen beetle and bmw both croaked, and costed over 5500.00 to repair each. I didnt like it at first but fell in love after. The style it cute, plenty of room, better mpg than prius cost is almost half, doesnt have all that eletrical junk that seems to always fail, cheap to fix and easy to work on, cheap car but everything is built with great quality unlike volkswagens cheap plastic everything, very easy to park. Im a delivery driver and couldnt ask for a better car. Parents owned 7 toyotas and none had less than 250k miles one had 326k still running today. the yaris has everything plus the toyota reliability and it wont break your bank

Biggest little car!
By Snowy on 09/12/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This has been a great car and has exceeded my expectations. I wanted a plain old manual transmission with no other gadgets and amazingly found a used one for sale. I bought this car for gas mileage and was expecting it to be a compromise in other ways but IT IS NOT! I consistently get 29 to 32 MPG without trying to maximize fuel economy and have gotten 42 on one road trip. The size of this car is deceiving and there is plenty of room inside. With the backseat down I have been able to fit anything I need and I have even transported a medium sized desk with the hatch fully closed! It's fun, smooth, quiet and handles great! I've had a bunch of cars but I couldn't be more pleased with it.

Fits people of all sizes
By Canuck366 on 03/17/10 04:34 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car is cheap in cost terms but extremely good quality for the price. I was concerned about buying it because I'm a big guy, but it is much more comfortable than a Nissan Sentra, Chevy S10 Pickup or Ford Mustang. The headroom and leg room was impressive in both the front and the back seats. The seats sit much higher than one would expect from such a small car. If you are looking to buy one, make sure it is a Manual Transmission or it will not be any fun. Others have asked for these fancy features like iPod holders and other advancements, it sounds like you need to spend the extra money if you want those features and go with the Matrix.

Bulletproof
By AaronDetroit on 12/31/09 23:51 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car about 2.5 months now. It's a 2008 3dr. hatch, 5 spd. manual. Has air conditioning, but not many other options. Got it with about 31k miles, and only 1 owner before me. Paid $8950. To me that's a crazy good deal. Build quality is excellent. Reputation for reliability is basically bulletproof. Gas mileage is great, especially if you don't drive it hard. Drives, handles, shifts, and brakes very well for an economy car. Has an overall feeling of quality that is hard to find at this price range.

Overall not bad
By Ian on 09/05/09 14:54 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This month is my Yaris' first birthday and being my first new car, it has been a pretty decent experience after 15,000 miles. Very reliable car, no engine issues, manual is almost... fun sometimes. Air works well, and stereo is not bad. Only issues I've had are the easily scratched panels, very annoying... also the panels where seat belts are get gauged. My Camry had a more resilient interior. Gas mileage is excellent, best I got was 360 miles to one tank on the hwy, and for an 11 gallon tank, that ain't too shabby. The exterior damages way too easily also. Bumpers on this car are horrible and expensive to repair, try not to back into anything, its going to be over 500 to fix. Good car overall.

Much more than I thought
By Chuck on 07/08/09 23:35 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the four-door hatchback, 5-speed (Mexico). Ordered the "base model" - got 15 inch tires, CD, ABS brakes, A/C, Tach, rear window wiper; which seems more than the base model in the US. I wanted to buy American made but could NOT beat price, quality, economy. Broke- in on Mexico-Florida-Michigan-Mexico trip. At 65 mph I averaged 39 mpg. Replaced back seat with carpeted 3/4 inch plywood, so it's a mini-minivan: the hatch and back doors are a dream for access. I really baby it around town and love its eye-catching good looks. It is FUN to drive; stable, peppy, stylish. I didn't think I'd enjoy it as much as I do. It is satisfying, even after over one year.

Extraordinary Well-Built Tiny Efficiency
By Annette Keller on 01/20/09 04:45 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car is tiny - head-turningly so. People gawk as if it's a toy car. But the interior is so well designed, with many cup-holders, compartments and the hatchback, that I feel as comfortable in it as I did in my 4Runner SUV. It's been years since I had a hatchback, and the accessibility is a wonderful convenience. I have a manual and know how to drive it efficiently. I get between 36-45 mpg, depending on whether the gas station sells 100% gas or an ethanol blend. Can reach anything from the driver's seat except the very back (trunk) part of hatchback. Gets in any parking space. Never had such a convenient, easy access car.

Great Car
By TravW on 01/19/09 21:05 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Overall the car was one of the best investments I have ever made. The fuel economy was excellent and the small design is misleading. The interior is very roomy. Wonderful car.

Good no Great Car and Fun
By Joseph Campa on 01/13/09 11:22 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I read several reviews before I bought my Yaris and I feel that Toyota has a winner. I also have a civic and the Yaris is a better car in quality and reliability. I am considering buying another one. I only wish that you could get a split rear seat and center console on the base model. Small car with a big interior is the Yaris with exceptional gas mileage. I got a little over 38 mpg with mine and that is great when you have two active girls that need to go places. Smooth ride and exceptional comfort.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback in NJ is:

$210 per month*