1994 Toyota Tercel Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tercel model:
Starter car
By Jim Boy on 10/15/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Toyota Tercel Coupe 2dr Coupe

I'm 18 I got this car a little over a year ago its great. I have 235,000 miles on it and I take it on a 420 mile round trip (avg mpg 42) every other week. I live in the bay and force it to drive fast. It sounds a little rough when giving it gas but it has never given out and always starts. We own two of these because they are great cars. I have 3 other friends with this car and they all have over 270,000 miles. The car handles great I took a turn 20 mph turn at 55 learned all the weight is in the front.

Best mistake I ever made
By Joe on 01/14/09 14:36 PM (PST)

1994 Toyota Tercel Coupe 2dr Coupe

The dealer saw me coming and I spent $1000 more than it was worth in '94. No regrets. 215000 miles and the car has started every single time I turned the key. Every time. Simply amazing. Replaced the water pump at 97000 miles but warranty covered it. Except for regular maintenance items almost everything else on the car is original and still working fine. With 4-speed stick it is faster than the 5-speed Audi I owned before. With high performance tires it will freakin' corner at 50 mph. (Yes, I did it once, but only once, you corner at 50 anything that isn't attached goes flying.) I am getting a new car now but only because I am nervous at such high mileage driving in NYC area.

220k reliable
By peggy on 12/16/08 16:09 PM (PST)

1994 Toyota Tercel Coupe 2dr Coupe

220k and still going reliably and painlessly. Starts at -20 tho the shifting is very stiff until the car warms up, great gas mileage at 34 mpg. It now needs oil along with gas and leaves a blue cloud when it starts.

The Little Car that Could!
By Jolly Green on 09/06/07 17:32 PM (PDT)

1994 Toyota Tercel Coupe 2dr Coupe

I bought this as my first real car 5 years ago and have since put 50,000 miles on it. It doesn't have much power (having the manual lets you strangle every ounce out of it), but it gets you there in the end. Reliability has been almost perfect, the only thing I had to change was the starter motor. It burns about 1/3 quart of oil per tank, but I can live with that. My biggest complaint against the car is that it is not good for tall drivers, I'm 6'4", and on long trips it destroys my back. It has only been recently that I have been driving a lot, I got a new job where I drive 500 miles a week, so sadly the car had to go. But if you're just looking for a basic car that doesn't break, this is it.

Decent Car
By bwible on 10/10/06 21:47 PM (PDT)

1994 Toyota Tercel Coupe 2dr Coupe

Bought car in 1996 with 43k miles on it. 4-spd manual got only decent 29 MPG. Oil light came on at 80k. I was told by the dealer that you have to change oil every 3k or the valves burn up. Replaced the ignition silenoid at 100k. Engine light came on soon after and had to replace EGR gasket. Car was overheating at 149k and needed new head gasket so I sold it. The seats tore apart after only a few years - and that was with seat covers. Paint starting coming off after about 7 years old. Overall though, it was a good, cheap car to get me through college.

OVERALL GOOD
By darth shamuu on 02/02/06 19:42 PM (PST)

1994 Toyota Tercel Coupe 2dr Coupe

My dad gave me this car once he got a new one. He gave it to me with 158k miles in June of '05 and now, being January of '06 the car has 166k and I have had very few problems. Around 160k miles I had a new front axle, new brakes and new tires installed...because my dad lacked to change the oil for a bit the engine makes a bit of noise. I love the car because it is amazing on gas, I get around 37mpg!!!

Carol's Tercel
By Carol on 07/09/05 22:26 PM (PDT)

1994 Toyota Tercel Coupe 2dr Coupe

Bought used from a seller 4 years ago, I love the car, no problems at all. Very reliable

best for college students
By optimus on 05/14/05 12:11 PM (PDT)

1994 Toyota Tercel Coupe DX 2dr Coupe

How amazing it is seeing the fuel meter go slowly. I use this car to go to college and its amazing on how economical it is. Its a bit slow when full of people and cargo but when you are alone... let the good times roll. Is small to fit anywhere and it's reliable. Barely have mechanical problems with it.

You get what you pay for.
By Skrip on 10/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Toyota Tercel Coupe 2dr Coupe

This car is an IDEAL starter, HS, college, commuter car. It's my starter car and I'm still driving it(my second year). It took some serious punishment with my driving (that includes peeling out, handbrake slides, going over bumps at fairly fast speed, fast cornering), yeah it lacks power but it surely doesn't handle badly(60mph on 35mph offramp). My tercel also was consuming oil at one point, but after timing belt replacement (and oil change with it) it stopped! I managed to blow (well crack) a head gasket in it, but with a $2 bottle of radiator sealant and new spark plugs, it was back up and running. Up to this day it is still running with 90k miles on it, no engine/tranny problems

Reliable basic transportation
By Sharilee on 05/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Toyota Tercel Coupe 2dr Coupe

We bought this car as a second vehicle to go to and from work. This car is very basic-NOTHING fancy. This one is a 4 speed and has good fuel economy, but is very noisy when at higher speeds. The seams on the interior seats are coming apart in a couple of spots. We have not had any major engine problems but the driver side window hinge came apart and the window needed to be replaced. This is a good reliable very basic vehicle, but not great for long trips.