Used 1990 Toyota Tercel Base Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Toyota Tercel Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tercel model:

Good car
By Italianprincess

1990 Toyota Tercel Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I have a 1988 Toyota Tercel with 80,000 miles. Thing runs beautiful. Little bit of an oil leak but what do you expect for a 20 yr old car. Just had a tune up but no major problems.

Super-Car
By Mihai

1990 Toyota Tercel Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

This car is the best I've ever had. I abused it in every possible way. Almost never breaks and when it does it's dirt cheap to fix. Tires are $15 new or $6 used. Changed the brakes for $40 at a mechanic. Can't ask for more. You can take it anywhere - even off road. We took it to Oregon and drove 200 miles on unpaved roads and then back to California. Lookwise it's not the best, but I took it to over 50 dates and I've been far more succesfull [weeding out the bad girls] then when I was driving a gas-guzzler money-eater Pontiac. Toyota costs 9.5 cents/mile for gas, insurance, repairs and loss in car value (including one accident) during my ownership. Pontiac was 37 cents/mile, no accident.

Freedom. The freedom to leave the key in the door, have a great date and find the key where you left it. Freedom to go off-road, have rocks and sagebrush hit everything they can hit and then drive 100 miles home. Freedom to have an accident and smile. No matter what you do, it won't cost you.

They should make such simple cars again. Take all the fancy gizmos off a Toyota Yarris, leave just the engine and a lot of room to fix it when you need to. Give it plastic seats. Price it at $5000 and have it go 300 000 at 45 mpg. Add internet and repair manual. Wouldn't that be great for the world?

The car that would not die
By Tom-AZ

1990 Toyota Tercel Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

We had this car for 10 years, we rarely changed the oil, yet nothign ever went wrong over 10 years. That is simply amazing. Besides wear of tires, brakes, and the seats, this car is indestructible.

Pretty good gas mileage and extremely tough

This car needed a stronger engine