2008 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Review: 2000 miles later

2008 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab - Consumer Review

2000 miles later
By Tacoma on

2008 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first Tacoma, but I've been in love with this truck for years. It handles fine for me; it's just a truck, not a sports car. Off-road the truck handles well and performs better, but the stock tires need to go if you plan on doing some serious off-roading. Otherwise, I've been averaging over 20 mpg doing mostly highway driving through the Cumberland mountains (a 4spd automatic might have been a better choice since the 4cylinder needs to be in 4th gear to climb hills on the interstate). The base model comes with no frills, but I can handle crank windows and push mirrors--it's a truck plane and simple.

The exterior looks; they made it huge for a small sized truck! The 4x4 rocks, no hubs to turn on the outside (I guess that's been done away with for a while now). I wish they hadn't changed the front grill though, the older models look meaner from the front.

The bench seat and headrests aren't comfortable. Cruise control would have been a major plus (I do a lot of driving). The 4 cylinder doesn't have enough juice to get up big hills in 5th gear unless you're doing 80mph or more. But the most aggravating flop is the lack of intermittent wipers!!