2007 Toyota Matrix XR Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

2007 Matrix Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

Sort Reviews by

M Theory
By BigSam

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have the Speedway Blue M-Theory Special Edition. Awesome 17" wheels & spoiler. Chicks love the car! Seriously. Mine's a 5 speed & still has little power, but I don't mind. I usually get about 32 mpg, but I drive about 80% city miles. Haven't been on a long road trip to test strict highway mileage. I'm 6'3" & car has plenty of room for me. The seat is only halfway back! Ride is a little rough with "sporty" suspension on M Theory. Occasionally clicking sound in brakes, dealer says is normal - that's a little annoying. Fun to drive!

Favorite Features

Good mileage, 31-33 avg. Huge interior!! No joke. Good build quality.

Suggested Improvements

MP3 player. Stick shift gets annoying.

Jack of all trades
By Nippon Fan

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is such a fun car, considering it can seat four adults in comfort or carry a whole ton of stuff. The back seat is easy to drop flat, yet is a real full-size adult seat when it is up. Despite being a proper little utility vehicle, it also has great handling and a peppy engine - you never want for power yet the fuel economy is great (35+). I do believe you need to choose the manual transmission with the available power here - the automatic is much slower and also harder on gas. And I think it's a looker! One of my favorite details is the optitron gauges - I know those are becoming much more common these days, but I like how easy they are to read.

Favorite Features

Handling, fuel economy, reliability, versatility, looks, low emissions, strong brakes, fun!

Suggested Improvements

As others have noted, needs more driver's seat adjustments and could also use a telescoping steering wheel. Stock stereo is barely adequate at best, and mine isn't even the base model, it is the optional stereo! The shifter is OK but could be better - it's kind of notchy.

Meets most of my needs
By Up-the-River

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

My Matrix XR replaced a Honda driven 10 yr, 250k and loved. I have yet to develop same affection for Matrix. After 10k it seems reliable, functional, economical, fun to drive. 5 sp shift is smooth but has a unique click sound each shift. Some design features are at times inconvenient or annoying. Visibility out side and back suffers. Front and rear seat headrests are always in way, same for body/roof posts. Warning signal for unbuckled seatbelts is loud, obnoxious. Why all the noise when passenger unbuckles to remove coat or briefcase or box is on passenger seat? And panic button on the key fob is horribly designed. How many times have I accidentally set it off? Please don't ask my neighbors!

Favorite Features

Fold down rear and front passenger seats, great MPG, radio, great acceleration for 4cyl, high quality of fit and finish, smooth quiet engine.

Suggested Improvements

More adjustments for driver seat and steering wheel, sun visors fail to provide sufficient protection especially out side windows, add 2nd overhead light for separate lights for driver and passenger, panic button on key fob.

Practical fun
By pohaku

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

So many practical reasons to own this car: excellent gas mileage, lots of cargo room, Toyota reliability, flat-folding seats. But what sold me on it was that it's just a fun car to drive. The handling is enjoyable, the engine is more willing than its 126 hp would imply, the interior is cockpit-ish, the 6-cd sound system is decent, the seats are comfy with cool fabric, and the ride is nicer than the competition's. It's a nice mix of good stuff for the money. I was considering a Civic, but the Matrix had more cargo space, a nicer ride, a nicer interior, and was way more fun to drive. The auto I test drove was good, but I recommend a manual trans with any small engine.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, interior, cargo space, handling, flat-folding front passenger seat with a tray on the back, lifting rear glass, seats, AC outlet, kinda sexy looking for a wagon.

Suggested Improvements

A smoother manual transmission - it's okay, but not up to par with the rest of the car.

What a great car!
By rollcar

2007 Toyota Matrix Hatchback XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have two kids, and this car fits my family perfectly. Cavernous? No, but plenty large for a family of four and everything that travels with it. I love the comfortable seats, the high seating position, the interior space (headroom in particular) and the incredible gas mileage. You won't find a better value in this price range, all things considered.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats, well-finished interior, great gas mileage, perfect size.

Suggested Improvements

An auxillary input would be nice on the otherwise fine stereo. Also, the key fob will not lock the doors until they are all closed. Kids can be slow getting out of the back seat, and you can't lock the car until all four doors are closed. You'd be suprised how annoying that minor detail is!