2003 Toyota Matrix Consumer Review: Hit the jackpot

2003 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Review

2003 Toyota Matrix

Base Wagon (1.8L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Hit the jackpot
By opinroad84 on

2003 Toyota Matrix Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

June 2016 update:
My Matrix is nearly 14 years old now and shows no signs of rust. In fact, the headlights have just started to fog over a bit. Admittedly, it is parked in a covered garage during weekdays, but the rest of the time it is in the elements in SE Pennsylvania. The factory CD player bit the dust after 14 years and I replaced it with a Bluetooth capable head unit. Still, if you look to buy a used Matrix, do not expect Nav, or bluetooth. There is no touchscreen unless it's an aftermarket unit. There is a lot of road noise at highway speeds too. But, it has yet to require any major repair. Still purrs like a kitten and the 5 spd manual has been bullet proof. I've thought about replacing it for something a bit more comfortable, but with this kind of reliability, fuel mileage and versatility, I simply can't justify the expense. At this rate, I'll be driving it for another 14 years.

I bought my Matrix, new, in Sept '02 and since then have only put 52K on it.
I have done all of the routine maintenance and have only ever had to replace the serpentine belt a few times and one brake light bulb.
This car has been more reliable than I ever could have hoped for.
Plus, it has great cargo capacity.
I can load it with dozens of bags of mulch, or a week's worth of camping gear.
Even my 29 inch mountain bike fits in the back with the seats down (with the front wheel still on!)
I will admit, on long drives the seating position can become annoying, but bring a small pillow or something and you can go for hours, plus, you won't need to stop for gas often!
Avg MPG, 30 in summer, 26 in winter.

• Instrumentation
  • Quality of materials
  • Cargo storage
  • Logic of controls
  • Outward visibility
  • Rain snow traction
  • Headlights
  • Climate control

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review