nice car, but dash sqeaks and rattles drive me nuts!
By ctgardengirl on
2008 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)
Our first Toyota, bought used Nov 2010, bought base model because of tire issues on sport and ltd, and cost. Went from 1997 Plymouth Voyager van to this - what a difference in driving. It scared me for awhile, getting used to the electronic/computer driving process, seemed out of control to me until I got used to it, now it's fine. What drives me crazy is the dash rattles, which is way worse in winter. My old van didn't rattle like this! It makes me want to sell it, and buy another, but afraid of same problem. Radio is ok, bass is terrible. Roomy inside. Seats ok, but not that comfortable on day long drives. Back seat rattles now. What next?
Favorite Features
Roomy leg and foot room in driver and passenger sides, and rear seat. (what sold me on this SUV over others) Better quality interior than Honda, Ford, others... Decent gas mileage in it's class for the money. Toyota quality and reputation. (which I'm now questioning...) Good size seats - Honda's are too narrow, and so are others in this class, or too low to the floor. Height of truck is just right for me for loading groceries, and has enough room for lots of luggage for 2 on long trips. Fold down second row seats offer extra space for more luggage, Christmas shopping, or awkward or long items.
Suggested Improvements
Dash rattles are Numerous! They seem to go away during the summer months, and come back in October. (Hint: run your dash heater on high for 10 minutes or so - this helps to warm up the dash to reduce the rattles most of the time) Back seat has started to rattle now. Radio is adequate, but the bass is terrible! Muffled and annoying, we turn it down as far as possible. Air seems to leak out the dash vents when running heater on floor only. Hits me right in the eyes and dries out my contacts. I have to drive with the visor down on long trips in the winter . Can be hard to see when backing up. My van had more visibility. And please make passenger seat with power seat controls standard!