Used 2001 Toyota ECHO Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific ECHO model:

exemplery reliability with super economy
By dngrfld

2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Have driven 19,000 miles per year for 8 years. Got 49 mpg average when I got it, get 47 now, 20% city miles. On freeway I drive 60-70 mph. With a good load such as full of camping gear and suitcases for 2 week holiday, it hugs highway at 75 mph. Excellent emergency stopping at high speeds. Just this week, first thing broke in the interior of car, one sun visor is floppy now. One wheel bearing replaced 6 months ago. Other than that just brakes, rotors and oil changes. Super low maintenance. Just did a total detailing inside and out and am amazed at how good it looks. Quality of interior parts very good. Easy to squeeze into tiny parking spots. I am 60 years old, most reliable car I have owned

gas mileage. lots of cargo space for small car.

not that it matters now but driver leg room inadequate if 5'10" or taller..

2001 Toyota Echo
By Perfect student car

2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

From the first day I got this car, I am satisfied. It is a perfect car for students because it is excellent on gas and very reliable. Though I do recommend the automatic for first time drivers. Throughly, it's a car you get addicted to.

I love the space the car has to offer, it's a very spacious car for the rear passengers and the front.Head room is complete but when tall people sit in front, the people in the rear get little space.The Echo has many compartments on the front dash that are very useful.The trunk is also large.

The seats aren't the most comfortable and it would be nice if it would be a little longer for knee support when driving for a long period of time. It would also be more reliable if the front wheel bearings would be tougher. Sometimes you have to play with the shifter to put it in reverse.

Best Car I've Owned
By John L

2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car new in 2001 and almost 9 years and 93K miles later it is still running perfectly. Zero problems. Routine oil and filter changes, new tires and new brake pads are all it's had. Don't expect a sports car or a luxury car. We bought it for high quality, reliable low-cost basic transportation and it has delivered and then some. Wonderful little car.

Roomy interior (my 6'3" son fits comfortably in the back seat) and trunk, 34-42 mpg, comfortable and easy to drive. Rock solid reliable

Wish it had standard side curtain airbags and ABS brakes. Needs cruise control as an option also.

Love the Echo
By CAT

2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my 5 speed stick shift, Indigo Ink Blue Echo, new. New it got 45 mpg/highway -- down to about 39 mpg/highway with 165,000 on it. The first tires lasted 65,000 miles. The battery lasted 7 years. Did the first tune-up at 145,000 miles just because it had never had one, NOT because it was running badly. Faithfully change the full synthetic oil & filter every 3000 miles, other filters as recommended. Loved this one so much, now own two (bought a 2005 Echo to replace a 1995 mini van).

Have always loved the roominess of the interior. Have split back seats so can load lots of stuff into it when I need to do so and it will hold more than some vans.

Cruise control -- which I had put on after market. Would love to be able to buy a 2010 Echo, but they stopped making them in 2005.

Good but could have been great
By what could have been

2001 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought used in may 2005 with 24,940 miles on it. It now has 34,600 miles on it. Had to fix a/c all new o-rings + recharge Freon for $150.00. Just fixed tie rod end link bushing-left front side $75.00. I avg 27 mpgs in winter short trip cold motor. The 1 long highway trip I took (150 miles round trip) I got 40.5 mpgs with the auto trans + a little a/c usage. Since I owned it I am averageing 32.5 mpgs. I had 195/60 14 tires put on but they had high rolling resistance. I didnt know this at the time I got them so I lost about 3 mpgs. I save every gas reciept. This car needs a more powerfull a/c system it only holds 17 oz of Freon crosswinds are hell in this thing on the highway. City driving is ok.

Gas mileage. Ease of entry-exit seat height. Cassette with cd player nice.

This car could have been great if Toyota would have done the following: 1- put 195/60 15 tires with low rolling resistance on it 2- lowered the roofline 4 inches 3- a 2door hatchback model 4-more powerfull a/c system. 5- put in 4 gauge pkg from 03-06 corolla in front of the driver