Used 1998 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Great SUV
By Sharon

1998 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV

I love my 1998 Toyota 4-Runner, I always keep up with the regular maintenance as recommended by the dealership and have always had wonderful performance with this vehicle. I had a camry previously, and have great success with that vehicle as well. Toyota makes a wonderful product, I am now researching the 2006, 6 cylinder, RAV4, only to achieve better gas mileage.

Favorite Features

Dependability

Overall good utilitarian vehicle
By gail eddy

1998 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

we consider this suv a better overall vehicle than the ford explorer. We have owned two explorers, a 1992 and a 1996. The toyota 4runner has handled the mountainous terrain that we live on better than the fords. It has plenty of pep and an excellent 4wd and low range system. The interior is cramped, especially where the control panel is in conjunction with the cup holder-bad design, and along the sides of the seats for cleaning. Overall however, we have a sense of reliability with this vehicle and it will most likely be with us for many years.

Built to last!
By TonyVee

1998 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

This vehicle has the perfect mix of comfort and muscle. It's a vehicle that is just as comfortable at a formal occasion as it is off road. But by far its number one best feature is Dependability! Love this SUV!

Favorite Features

Built to last.

Suggested Improvements

Go back to shocks and springs rather than front end struts.

Nothing Like it
By Oceanwave38

1998 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased this vehicle with 160,000 miles just because it is a Toyota and I know they will run forever! Vehicle drives excellent and handles well. The only problem I have encountered that I was told that is a common defect that should have been recalled by Toyota is the rear axle. The rear axle had to be totally removed and new bearings, brake shoes etc had to be replaced. I was told that this could be very very dangerous as fluid from the axle had leaked out over the brake shoes. I was told that had I had to apply the brakes very hard at sometime that they could have locked up causing the vehicle to go out of control. Toyota dropped the ball on this one for not recalling as is common prob

Favorite Features

Everything

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders needed to be placed somewhere else beside in front of the Air condition controls. Bad design from Toyota

Best mid size SUV for the money
By Q

1998 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Most reliable SUV I have ever owned. The only thing that does not work is the power antenna. As far as everything else this SUV is made to last.

Favorite Features

Styling

Suggested Improvements

Rear suspension.