1998 Toyota 4Runner SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:
I named her Baby
By Marcy on 10/06/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV

I purchased this vehicle because I always wanted an SUV, but I wanted something reliable! I looked at the Honda CR-V, but being a tall woman 6'0", I wanted something a little roomier! I Loved the 4Runner as soon as I drove it! I know it was overkill to get one so big but oh well! I'm a nurse,so I travel sometimes and need safe/reliable transportation! And this is so it! What can I say, I love it!

Move Over Energizer Bunny
By Mjwoodsphx on 12/31/08 08:57 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV

I bought this car in 2002 with 55K miles on it and paid 21K. The best investment I ever made! I bought this vehicle because I had a 1998 Tacoma and loved it. I dreaded that I gave it up at the end of the lease! The 4Runner is the best quality vehicle I have ever owned. Who owns a car for 7 years and hasn't grown tired of it?? This is one amazing vehicle and you can not beat the value. Sure it does not get great gas mileage, but it still gets better than most NEW SUVs. I average over 20 MPG and I live in Phoenix which has stops lights every mile not to mention terrible rush hour traffic! If you are considering one of these old guys, go for it! You won't regret it!

I've underestimated it.
By DanS on 02/06/07 02:46 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV

This is the first wise vehicle I bought. I wanted: comfort, reliability, utility, style. It had 60k miles when I bought it and now it has over 155k. The only mechanical problem I've had was a bad oxygen sensor that I suspect my K&N filter caused (spraying oil on the sensor). Right now I'm searching for a "new" perfect vehicle for me. Basically, the same criteria as before, but mpg is a greater concern, because I want to make that 45mile drive to surf more often. And, after all my research I've come to the conclusion that the perfect vehicle I'm searching for is the one in my garage. It feels like it'll go another 100k miles easily. Used ones are a bargain! Go get one!

Great Car
By Grant on 02/03/07 14:20 PM (PST)

1998 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV

Bought this truck with 30,000 miles and have over 140,000 miles on it now. Had to replace rear axle seals at 50,000 miles, other than that has had ZERO problems (mechanical or otherwise). Just do regular maintenance and the truck runs and runs! 4WD works great in bad weather, and truck tows strong. Interior, switches, gauges, and controls have all held up great (leather seats & motors, window controls & motors, AC, heater, CD, all power equipment, etc.) Will definitely buy another 4Runner!

Dependibility
By Mark Yonke on 06/29/05 14:26 PM (PDT)

1998 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV

I have spent 32 years in the auto industry on the retail level, and Toyota is the best of the best.They hold their value, and they do not break. My 4-Runner has 90,000 miles on it,and I have replace one set of tires, abattery and the power antenna mast. It still has the original brakes with 80% front and 90% rear linings left. My next vehicle will be the Tundra 4dr Truck.

Good value overall
By Randy on 03/11/05 11:37 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV

Great value, could have a softer ride. It rides like a truck. But overall a very good vehicle.

4RUNNER LIMITED
By joey on 06/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV

Excellent vehicle.Would highly recomend it.

Great Solid SUV
By Repblcnjew on 05/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV

I have never had a problem with car and it is a breeze to drive. It's responsive and desipte looking diminished as other makers upgraded engines the 183HP and 217lb/ft are more than enough. Taking a stock Mustang off the line is all in a day's work. Mechanically 4Runner is a dream. My complaint is back seat comfort.

So Far, So Great
By AustinTX4Runner on 02/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV

we just purchased a '98 4Runner Limited with approximately 97K miles on it. The thing that amazes me is that there's not a squeak or rattle to be heard when driving it, and the engine and transmission feel like the vehicle is new. The fit and finish is classic Toyota - which means it's basically flawless. My only regret is that I bought the truck for my wife and I hardly get to enjoy the huge moonroof, slide down rear glass, and comfy leather seats. Absolutely great truck and I know we'll have it for years to come.

Toyota and reliability are one
By Ltd2daMax on 11/08/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV

This experience has been nothing short of blissful. I have continuously raved about the reliability on my Limited. My scheduled maintenance is the only time I've ever been back to the service shop. It just runs and runs and runs.