Used 1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

4Runners Rule - 197K and Going
By ToyFan1

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased this vehicle new and it has been the most reliable vehicle I have owned. I've had other brands Honda's, Chevy's, Ford, GMC.... and nothing compares to Toyota quality and reliability (not even my Honda Accord). The only maintenance has been oil changes, tires, timing belt per owners manual and brakes (probably weakest feature - upgraded to Tundra front discs last year). I would buy another 4Runner, but this one still has years of reliable service left.

Bigger front discs, maybe a V8 (power) for Colorado passes towing a trailer. The ride is a little firm, similar to my old 911.

Worst 4X4 Ever!
By Toyota - NOT!

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

This thing is awful. Your feet stick straight out in front of you, putting your legs to sleep in the front seat, your knees are in your nose in the rear seat. It's a gutless wonder, with no power. In the shop all the time for piddlin' little things like wrinkling rubber on the running boards, peeling paint, sticking sunroof, you know Toyota stuff. And the parts are outrageous! A new ignition tumbler cost me $120 bucks! It's like driving a two story house down the highway - tippy around corners. It's a wonder my wife hasn't rolled it. It's a pig in the woods - no diff locks=stuck lots. And be careful if you take it off road, it's fragile. I'm going with a Suburban next.

It's got a couple of stripes. Seriously, my wife likes it, so I don't have to drive it. It is really fragile for a 4X4, though.

Boy, where to start? Better fuel mileage. Reduced body roll. Better plastics inside. Better paint. More corrosion protection. More power. Better seating position. Stronger interior and exterior components.

Does whatever I ask of it.
By Justin

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 4Runner a little over a year ago with 111,000 miles and it was wrecked. I repaired the damage, installed a small lift, larger tires an HD hitch and electric brake controller. I bi-weekly haul 1-2 tons on my tandem axle trailer with very little problem. My 4Runner is a manual trans so I make the most of the power it has. I also off road it harder than one should their daily driver but this little rig is extremely capable and fun to trail run with the family. I also having been driving more lately putting on 1500-2000 last month and been getting 19 mpg consistently. I have nothing but good things to say about my beat up little 4Runner-wait one negative needs more headroom!!

Factory Locking rear differential, mpg, power it has with 5-speed.

Stiffer rear springs, route the rear heat lines so you cant catch them on stuff and leak coolant all over.

PA salt killed my frame
By brian.

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

1997 4Runner SR5 4WD. Bought it 7 yrs old with 103K miles. Replaced antisway bar link a year later and noticed a lot of new frame surface rust. 5 years since i bought it the frame rusted through. What a shame, it was a typical strong, solid Toyota. It would have run for 100K or more no problem.

Solid all around SUV. Find a clean well maintained and run.

Better rustproofing. More power.

Excellent Daily Driver
By Bears Fan

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

With 310,000 miles on the 4Runner, it has not had one problem with reliability. I did only routine maintenance and changed all fluids and oils regularly. This car has gotten me from coast to coast in the US with no worries about reliability. Ride is very comfortable for long trips, and this car is amazing to drive in harsh snow conditions. I have not been stuck once.

Reliability, comfortable ride, great snow traction.

Keep up the great work Toyota!