1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:
135,000 miles and still going strong!
By Adam on 02/16/07 10:34 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

I'm the second owner of this awesome SUV, and it's been a pleasure to own. My wife and I purchased the vehicle with 98k miles, drove it across the US to California, and since then it's taken us on many a trip on the west coast. Great off road (excellent ground clearance). Sometimes wish for more power, but the gas mileage is great so I can't complain too much. Great vehicle!

Awesome Used SUV
By Steve Kania on 10/18/06 06:24 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

Outstanding value through and through! Runs and looks great! Extremely durable and reliable and gets much better gas mileage than I thought it would. Have over 150,000 miles on it and it looks like it'll go another 150,000!

luvmosyo
By mosyo on 04/19/06 20:45 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I am the original owner. I traded my 1991 BMW 325i for the 4Runner and have never looked back. It starts every single time I turn the key. One day after I had the vehicle for 7 years, it hesitated a little when I started it. I replaced the original Panasonic battery and it went right back to 100%. I had to have the antenna replaced once about 3 years ago. Other than that, the vehicle has served me flawlessly through my days as a single active duty Naval officer, my early married life and now with 3 kids and 3 dogs. My Siberian Husky never misses an opportunity to ride in "Mo's Yo!" I plan to keep my 4Runner until it won't go anymore - I'm thinking another 10 years. Thank you Toyota.

Great truck, not-so-great mpg, Good buy!
By Maki on 04/13/06 11:46 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV

My first SUV. Bought it with 69K miles, now has 73K. Love the styling in and out, though THE FRONT CUPHOLDERS ARE HORRIBLE!!! Everyone complains about them because they're in an awful location and they vibrate! I'm planning to retrofit the newer 4Runner cupholders as others have done. Other than that, it's a great truck! No problems whatsoever. Just change oil/filter every 3K and add gas, you can go anywhere. I take it snowboarding every weekend, drives great in the weather though I use chains in the snow...no 4WD. This car is a classic example of Toyota quality and no-nonsense styling. Toyota covered all of its bases, except the aforementioned cupholders and a little lack of grunt.

The best mid-size SUV!!
By Paul on 02/23/06 23:21 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my 4-Runner in July of 2003 in Houston with 53,000 miles on the odometer...it's now February of 2006 and it has 72,000 miles. I drove it home the same weekend I purchased it to Las Vegas. As you know, it gets blistering hot here in the desert and I'm proud to say that the vehicle does great here in Vegas. I try to park it in the garage, but with my FJ40 project going on in there it spends half the time in the driveway. The paint has faded just a bit but I wax it and it still looks great. One of the first things I did was get the windows tinted as dark as possible. It gets over 180 degrees inside but the interior's holding up great..there's one small tear in drivers seat crease

4Runner owners beware of Transmission
By Disappointed on 12/08/05 10:01 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased 4Runner used (w/ 75K miles) from a dealership with high expectations regarding the quality and realibity of a Toyota. At 146K the Transmission went out which is not much better than the Ford Taurus we owned. The cost to replace the Transmission was $4500, OUCH! We decided to rebuild instead which cost around $1800.

Best SUV
By 1st time 4runner on 11/21/05 11:29 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased used from a dealership who did all service and fluid changes before selling the vehicle. Have put on 8000 miles without any problems This SUV is decent, well built and reliable. It does not give troubles, just need gas and oil change then it'll bring you anywhere. Driving feelings are of dafety, good visibility and comfort.

1st SUV
By Tina on 11/18/05 15:13 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

This is the first SUV I have ever owned and I would have to say its a wonderful car, I previoulsy owned 2 Civics but I do really like this truck. Its not too big or too small for me being only 5' tall. Plenty of room for my 2 dogs and they do love sticking their head out the back window. Purchased it with 118k mi and its a little over 120k, have only owned it for 2 mo. The cupholders did keep my tea warm/hot for the 1/2hr drive to work. The original stereo (soon to be replaced) still has some kick to it. The front leather seats little tattered, think it was pretty beat up from the prev. owner. But awesome truck in all!!!!

Great SUV
By ATL2059 on 09/13/05 13:02 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

This will be my second 4runner. Previously owned a 94 and i must say this one has been a great vehicle. IT has plenty of space on the inside as well as decent mpg at around 20 in the city! The 4runner also has plenty of power for towing which i due often. The 4wd also works well although I’m still not too fond of the push button 4wd but have had no problems out of it. I would definitely recommend this to anyone shopping for and SUV.

Almost 160,000
By playboy3484 on 08/28/05 13:58 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

This is the first car I have purchased and I love it!! It has a lot of miles on it but it still rides smooth and performs great. I did get a tune up and replaced the starter but that was it(which wasn't bad considering I paid $6900 for it). My insurance company said the value is at $12,500 so it really keeps its value. Just keep the oil changed and it will love u back. I'm driving it until the wheels fall off!!