1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:
Best SUV Ever?
By Barry Bumm on 07/21/08 17:22 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this vehicle used with 98,000 miles. It has been a machine! Routine maintenance, tires, brakes,and the timing belt and water pump replaced at 100,000 and 200,000 miles. Electric antenna has gone out twice. This has been hands down the best vehicle I have ever owned. Gas mileage with V-8 has been 18 avg with 23 on interstate. Great off road as well. I will miss this as I am handing it off to my daughter as she heads to college. I'm sure it will have a good time too!

240k runs great!
By 4everRunner on 07/20/08 20:59 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased this truck two months ago and am very satisfied with it. The highway mpg is 20 but city driving returns terrible mileage, at about 14. Hesitant before finally deciding to buy due to its high mileage, but after starting driving, it is very satisfying, particularly the engine. Some interior rattling over bumps but highway cruising is fairly pleasant. 4WD is noticeably more smooth and accelerate more powerfully than rear wheel drive, but probably consumes more gas. Perhaps due to its high mileage, when 4WD is engaged, the turning of front wheels can't reach maximum angle. I plan to drive until the truck dies - if gas price allows.

A Great Buy
By 4RunnerEcstasy on 06/11/08 23:10 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased this 4Runner on eBay. I then flew to California to pick it up and drove it back to Chicago! At the time of purchase it had 242400(!) miles but the truck drove well and it had no problem crossing the continent at the average speed of 75 mph. The one-touch 4WD is very neat but haven't got chance to test its limit. Can't wait for the Chicago snow. The engine at below 70 mph is very quiet and strong. But the wind noise is very interfering. CD down, sun roof does not open, but antenna goes up and down. A/C cold. 3 weeks, so far as good! Wait for my follow-up reviews every year! I am going to test out how many miles can my 4Runner really go before it collapses.

4 Runner is a BEAST!
By Mario's Runner on 04/05/08 09:58 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my Runner used with 132,000 miles. I changed the water pump and the timing belt since records weren't available. Other than oil changes, this has been a very exceptional vehicle, and speaks volumes for the quality of this Japanese machine. The fit and finish is still excellent, along with the interior. It's bold, muscular, ready for the outdoors appearance (enhanced by my brush guards), is much preferred over some of the grocery mom SUV styles I see today. In inclement weather it's awesome and I never have to give dependability a second thought! It's roomy enough for me and my packages for my online business, it turns heads also. An A++ buy.

Ultimate Function
By WildYoats on 01/12/08 09:32 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought my 4runner with 155k on the odometer 4 years ago for 4k and now I have 231k on it and it still runs great. I get 21-26mpg out of the 3.4L, 4x4 setup. I've done a timing belt job, brakes, and tires, that's it! I do 10k mile oil changes (full synthetic everything) and it doesn't burn/leak any oil. I absolutely love the front cupholder location. It is out of the way and I can still work all the climate controls etc. Toyotas are very thoughtfully over-engineered which makes them indespensible to me. They are the epitome of a functional, rugged, useable, economical, comfortable, and safe tool that transports you in city or wilderness.

Just incredible
By Magitu on 12/29/07 18:58 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

As I approach 300k miles, there is a single, slight rattle coming from the interior of the driver's door. Other than that, this thing is still tight as a drum. I have had to change the power antenna a few times. The driver's side door broke and wouldn't open from the inside at one point, and I got that fixed. Other than that, I have had ZERO mantenance done on the machine other than the Toyota recommended routine maintenance. I can't imagine a higher quality vehicle - and after ten years. I pay $70-$90 for each routine maintenance event, except for major tune-ups and timing belt replacement. My old Ford Bronco II cost $600/yr in brake work alone. 4Runner is an awesome vehicle.

Love it!
By Toyotagirl on 12/27/07 13:34 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV

I bought my 4Runner brand-new in 1996. Granted, I don't put many miles per year on it, but I have spent NOTHING on this SUV other than routine maintenance. It provides a sure, dependable, fun driving experience every time. The vehicle was well thought-out by Toyota -- other than the beverage holders. They're located in front of the AC vents and have to be one of the worst designs in automotive history. If this one ever wears out, I plan to buy another Toyota SUV. That's about the best recommendation I can think of.

High miles, low costs
By captron2 on 10/26/07 17:32 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV

Swallowed my misgivings and bought this SUV with 118,000 on the odometer. Car now has 190k miles. 4Runners, I learned the hard way, have one generic flaw: rear axle seals. I have had to replace them twice. If there's gear oil in the rear brake drums, plan on spending $1000 to repair. Otherwise, no problems whatsoever. V6 gives decent mileage, too: 20 in city, as much as 26 on highway if you can drive a steady 63 mph.

1997 4Runner Fan
By James on 03/29/07 22:41 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my 4Runner used with 44K on the odometer and have really enjoyed this ute with over 100K miles logged on it during my ownership. It is a great ride and I enjoy the five speed. It's my daily driver, but has seen complex off-road trails. Beyond regular oil changes, I replaced the clutch at 140K on the odometer as well as the oxygen sensors on the left bank of the V6 engine. The antenna is broken (second time) and I elected to get Sirius radio instead of paying a dealer $330 to repair this costly item. A spring-loaded clip on one cup holder is broken - dealer quote to repair is over $125. I've decided to live with the broken clip versus paying a dealer to fix this item.

135,000 miles and still going strong!
By Adam on 02/16/07 10:34 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota 4Runner SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

I'm the second owner of this awesome SUV, and it's been a pleasure to own. My wife and I purchased the vehicle with 98k miles, drove it across the US to California, and since then it's taken us on many a trip on the west coast. Great off road (excellent ground clearance). Sometimes wish for more power, but the gas mileage is great so I can't complain too much. Great vehicle!