1997 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews 2

1997 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:
Get excited everytime I drive it!!
By Excited everytime!! on 11/16/09 00:34 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV

I just bought this 4runner 2.7L/4 cylinder/manual/rear diff lock four months ago, since I bought this 4runner I never had problems, I just changed brake caliper/changed oil and adjusted the rear brakes, I brought it to my mechanic after buying it and he said when he test drove it, it runs like 6 cylinder, he likes it!! It has 242800k in its engine but man it drives great!! I am planning to keep this truck 'til it drops. Routine check up needs to be followed and this stud will rock!!

Great Ride
By James on 10/18/09 15:36 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

This SUV remains a great ride with over 174K miles on the odometer. Clutch replaced at 144K miles and just swapped-out the shocks within the last month. I stand a 6'2" and fit and picked this vehicle because it drove well and I fit in it. Overall design and reliability of the vehicle is really outstanding and has withstood the test of time. No plans to trade this in for something newer as it is a pleasure to drive. 4-wheel drive has taken me up some advanced trails into the mountains, but it's a daily driver.

Takes a Lick'n
By Tazz151 on 10/16/09 09:23 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

This is my 2nd 4Runner. I had an 88 200,000miles & traded for the 97, wanted 4 drs. It has a 2" lift with HD springs & shocks and a TRD cat-back which added a little more low end power. This is my daily driver and hard use off-roader. I tow 3,000- 5,000# on a regular basis and it pulls great. I have removed my front and rear sway bars for better travel off-road, the little extra lean on the streets is not alarming. I run this on trails, service roads, crawling & even use it as follow vehicle at high speeds for quad riders. The truck gets beat hard with bumps & jumps (8ft in the air) & keeps on tick'n. No major probs. Looking to get another one w/V8 but will keep this one. Quality is 2nd to none.

Great SUV
By monica garcia on 08/02/09 22:34 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased this with 111000 miles. It is now at 196,000 miles. I've only replaced timing belt, $900 brakes often (due to oversize tires and going up and down the mountain) otherwise just oil changes. One small problem lately is check engine light comes on when gas gauge shows around a quarter of a tank. Mechanic said it could be just the gas cap. I've been told the ride in the back seat is rough but I haven't replaced the shocks nor do I know if they had been done before I bought it. For the last year I have had the roof and hood area start to peel but I have never had it waxed either. I will probably end up painting these areas when they get worse.

Best vehicle I've ever owned - 42 years
By thedadlord on 07/13/09 16:07 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I paid $26,000 for mine new in 1997. I have over 198,000 miles now. The ride is a little unsettled, it's better with a full load. Handling and steering is 2nd to none. I relocated the oil filter to the inner fender well with a bypass kit. I installed a hood deflector. I also installed a makeshift stainless steel screen inside the grill to stop damage to the radiator from road debris and bugs. The only repair I've needed are the head gasket went out under the extended warranty. Also the front brake line cracked from fatigue after a mounting bolt rusted thru. Michelin LTX M+S are the tires of choice for this vehicle. I still have the original shocks, exhaust system, alternator, starter.

4Runners Rule - 197K and Going
By ToyFan1 on 05/08/09 12:16 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased this vehicle new and it has been the most reliable vehicle I have owned. I've had other brands Honda's, Chevy's, Ford, GMC.... and nothing compares to Toyota quality and reliability (not even my Honda Accord). The only maintenance has been oil changes, tires, timing belt per owners manual and brakes (probably weakest feature - upgraded to Tundra front discs last year). I would buy another 4Runner, but this one still has years of reliable service left.

Worst 4X4 Ever!
By Toyota - NOT! on 04/14/09 21:34 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

This thing is awful. Your feet stick straight out in front of you, putting your legs to sleep in the front seat, your knees are in your nose in the rear seat. It's a gutless wonder, with no power. In the shop all the time for piddlin' little things like wrinkling rubber on the running boards, peeling paint, sticking sunroof, you know Toyota stuff. And the parts are outrageous! A new ignition tumbler cost me $120 bucks! It's like driving a two story house down the highway - tippy around corners. It's a wonder my wife hasn't rolled it. It's a pig in the woods - no diff locks=stuck lots. And be careful if you take it off road, it's fragile. I'm going with a Suburban next.

Does whatever I ask of it.
By Justin on 03/05/09 17:08 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my 4Runner a little over a year ago with 111,000 miles and it was wrecked. I repaired the damage, installed a small lift, larger tires an HD hitch and electric brake controller. I bi-weekly haul 1-2 tons on my tandem axle trailer with very little problem. My 4Runner is a manual trans so I make the most of the power it has. I also off road it harder than one should their daily driver but this little rig is extremely capable and fun to trail run with the family. I also having been driving more lately putting on 1500-2000 last month and been getting 19 mpg consistently. I have nothing but good things to say about my beat up little 4Runner-wait one negative needs more headroom!!

PA salt killed my frame
By brian. on 12/28/08 20:08 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

1997 4Runner SR5 4WD. Bought it 7 yrs old with 103K miles. Replaced antisway bar link a year later and noticed a lot of new frame surface rust. 5 years since i bought it the frame rusted through. What a shame, it was a typical strong, solid Toyota. It would have run for 100K or more no problem.

Excellent Daily Driver
By Bears Fan on 12/28/08 11:38 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

With 310,000 miles on the 4Runner, it has not had one problem with reliability. I did only routine maintenance and changed all fluids and oils regularly. This car has gotten me from coast to coast in the US with no worries about reliability. Ride is very comfortable for long trips, and this car is amazing to drive in harsh snow conditions. I have not been stuck once.