1996 Toyota 4Runner SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:
247k miles and still kicking!
By jnp16 on 08/01/12 10:05 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV

I got this car 7 years ago at 150k miles. I'm now nearing a quarter of a million mi (247k). I've had to replace several things, but nothing unexpected and this car has only left me "stranded" once (hole in radiator, so if you count pulling over to put water in as "stranded"). This thing takes a beating from me--I offroad often and it takes 300miles trips constantly as I go back and forth from school (for 6yrs). Couldn't ask for a more fun, better looking, more reliable car! I plan on running this thing into the ground, and at 247k that still seems far away! Things changed: o2 sensor, radiator, timing belt, rear axle seals, booster, ignition, 1 fuel injector. Spread out over 7yrs, NOT BAD

Great SUV
By dinger82 on 12/14/11 15:08 PM (PST)

1996 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Love my SR5 Limited 4Runner. It's a 5sp!

4 runner, 2wd, 4cyl
By wup on 03/21/10 16:05 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota 4Runner SUV 4dr SUV

I bought my 4 runner new in 1996. It now has over 230,000 miles. Other than change the fluids and filters, and replacing the brakes, it's only required one repair; a cracked exhaust manifold at 190,000 miles. The 4 cylinder lacks power, but it gets good gas mileage (25 mpg highway). It will cruise at 80 on the highway as long as it's flat. The paint started fading after about 10 years. It also had two rust spots under the roof rack that I had to repair, but I'm not complaining since it sits outside, a mile from the ocean in South Florida.

Cockroach of Cars
By Deidre on 10/02/09 19:09 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

This car will just not die, now will it! I'm the original owner and must admit that I've not been the best at regular maintenance. Even so, it keeps crawling along with performance like it was brand new (@ 135K miles). Had it in the shop only 2x since I've owned it and those were probably issues due to my own neglect. I'm reluctant to trade up because I just don't want to be disappointed! If I do, I most certainly will have another Toyota product. Can't beat 'em!

Great Truck
By donwe3 on 08/29/09 13:55 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought the vehicle used with 105000 miles, it now has 122000. Built like a tank, very reliable and sturdy. Not a spot of rust anywhere except on the rear bumper (see other reviews) – nothing major though – clean it every few months with chrome polish and it’s hardly noticeable. Put new Michelin CrossTerrain tires on it, which perform very well and are extremely quiet. Also installed a K&N air filter, which increased power noticeably. Otherwise, have done nothing to it besides change the oil (synthetic blend). Based on other reviews and the way it's run the last 18 months, I would be very surprised if it doesn't go to at least 250000 miles.

It's still going!
By cbrown on 08/03/09 12:15 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought my car when it was 2 yrs old w/ 35k miles. It now has over 260k in original miles and it's still chugging along. The most reliable car I've had! Got it fixed maybe a couple times mainly due to an accident it was involved in-other than that it doesn't give us any problems at all.

Best vehicle ever!
By Ernie on 07/01/09 08:14 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota 4Runner SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

This car has given me 211,000 miles and counting with minimal maintenance issues. The mileage includes brutal off-roading excursions and dozens of hunting trips. I have had the vehicle break down on me once in 13 years of ownership. You cannot ask for a more reliable vehicle.

Unstoppable!!
By levi916 on 11/20/08 15:59 PM (PST)

1996 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

My parents bought my 4runner when I was younger but I never thought that I would end up with it. This baby was on the showroom floor. I have had it now for 3 years and man oh man it's sweet, it goes anywhere! And with some slight mods its unstoppable! I have rolled it on its lid and I flipped it back over and within 2 hours it was running again! If you are doubting getting a 4runner I would think again this is one of the safest rigs out there! My baby off roads and races down the track. The best of both worlds!

Best vehicle in the world!
By P.J. on 06/09/08 18:16 PM (PDT)

1996 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this truck in 1998 with 30,000 miles on it. It now has an unbelievable 217,000 miles! Not once have I had a single engine problem with it. The only problem I have had is with the power antenna which had to be replaced twice but works fine now. The power rear window and wiper recently stoped working but look at the age of the vehicle too. The only thing I don't like about this truck is the ride. Way too harsh over bad roads and still isn't that great on newly-paved roads. My 4Runner is an SR5 Limited 4WD. I have never seen another one of this trim level. I love my truck! I will buy Toyota/Lexus for the rest of my life!

4x4
By tmtoyota4x4 on 03/26/08 10:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this 4runner with 140650 miles on it and it is strong as new. It could need a little power and get up and go but other than that it's ok, plenty of room for me and my friends to pile up in and take it 4wheelin down the beach or muddin. I average about 14/19 (city/highway).