1994 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:
Made it to 300,000 miles!
By stnrphilip on 01/20/14 08:52 AM (PST)

1994 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

I recently parted with a trusty "Yoda" toyota sr5 v6 3.0L that got me everywhere and back in style and comfort. Had the wonderfully over-built transfer case and the tank of a 5 speed manual transmission. I averaged about 22 mpg and was over joyed at the fact these things were made to do it all!. can't tell ya how many times i pulled ford, dodge, and chevy pickups out of 3 foot snow drifts with no problems. I would suggest the 1995 and older versions as they were built the heaviest. Would get another 1994 one without thinking :) Only reason i got rid of it was cause i decided it was time to trade and i picked up a Chevy 1500 in it's place.

Great SUV
By speed321 on 05/13/12 23:18 PM (PDT)

1994 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV

My grandma bought me a 1994 Toyota 4 runner about a year ago for my first car it had 202,000 miles on it now it has 211,000 miles on it and runs amazing but sucks very bad in the hills or up any hill unless your like off-roading and your going up a hill slowly in 4x4.. The brakes do suck i need to have my rooters turned. Had problems with rear window switch. The two back passenger window motors are almost done working i think they go pretty slow up after you put them down all the way.. Leaks oil but with those kind of miles its expected. Oh and how its bad in the hills is that when your going say, 65 mph and you start going up a little or a big incline you will loose speed very quickly and

Better than my Previous Vehicle
By William on 09/05/10 21:05 PM (PDT)

1994 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

Got rid of my 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.2L V8 (318cid) and ran across this 1994 Toyota 4Runner with the 3.0L V6 5 speed SR5. Don't know what anyone else's issue with with lack of power, it has plenty of power (Its not a race car). Planning on using it for hunting and camping and towing my ATV/Trailer.

Getting old, but still runs like a top
By Susan on 03/17/10 11:32 AM (PDT)

1994 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

I have now owned my 1994 4runner for 16 years! I am the 2nd owner, and the mileage is currently at 384,000 km (quite a few miles!). It has been completely dependable while driving in summer through all types of weather, winter in Canada, and in the mountains in the U.S. It's fantastic for taking me and my 2 goldens on camping and ski trips It's starting to need a few repairs, but it has been the best vehicle I've ever owned by a long shot.

Worth the money
By j on 04/14/09 15:46 PM (PDT)

1994 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

No complaints for reliability and worth the money.

What do you consider "high mileage"
By SierraSled on 09/01/08 17:54 PM (PDT)

1994 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

How could you fault a vehicle that has trudged through 260k miles of Tahoe winters, and Tahoe summers without a hiccup? Hauls every toy I own, lots of wet waggy tailed dogs, crusty skis, dirty mountain bikes, and just keeps on going and going and going. I'll miss this truck as I move on to a 2000 model - my dogs will miss it more. It's their personal expeditionary taxi and barf bag (why they loved to hurl in my truck I'll never understand - must be some kind of dog/truck thing). Onward we go, to a 2000 model with 144k on it, and another 8 years of worry free fun.

Best Truck Ever
By KG on 05/28/08 18:44 PM (PDT)

1994 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this truck brand new in 1994 before the term "SUV" was around. I have over 206,000 miles on it and it still runs great. I have NEVER done anything more than routine oil changes/ spark plug maintenance to the vehicle. This truck has also taken hundreds of miles of off-road pounding up steep canyons as narrow as the truck and over rocks as big as tires with no problems. I wish I could buy it new again, and I will never get rid of it. The only thing bad is that it gets 16 MPG city and 20 MPG on the highway. Also, up steep highway grades the engine will slow a bit, but then it does not have a V-8 as some BIG "SUV" might have.

4Runner review
By Nate Frame on 09/10/07 11:36 AM (PDT)

1994 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

I have beat on my 4Runner again and again. It was used a lot for farm work, pulling trees down, and hauling heavy loads with a trailer. The only time it left me stranded was when I ran it close to empty. It was my fault. If you find one with no rust, get it rust protected. Any body shop should be able to help you. The inside of the doors and tailgate. The 4Runner is not fast, but it's very dependable. Stick with the manual transmission models, the autos suck a lot of power you cannot afford to lose. Thirteen hard Michigan winters have taken their toll, but she is still alive and kickin'.

My First Toyota, Good Truck!!
By Josh Banks on 05/23/07 13:08 PM (PDT)

1994 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV 4WD

Well my famly has had good experience with Toyota, and I knew the reliability was up there so when my stepfather approached me and asked me if I wanted to purchase his truck, I said yes. I am graduating high school and I am big in the outdoors. So I knew this truck would fit my needs. The 3.0 V6 is underpowered for the gas mileage you get, it can still haul my fishing and camping gear no problem, and it even gets us through these harsh northern winters in Wisconsin. I also own the nicest suv in school!

Reliable
By Lindsay on 09/24/06 12:03 PM (PDT)

1994 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4dr SUV

This is the most reliable vehicle I have ever had. Still at 178,000 miles it has yet to break down on me once. Toyotas are AMAZING, and definitely worth every penny. I got in a wreck and it completely totalled the other SUV. I walked away without even a dent or scratch on my 4runner.