Great car in search of a engine
By sr500mark on
2007 Suzuki XL7 4dr SUV AWD w/3rd Row (3.6L 6cyl 5A)
I bought this car used with about 40K miles on it. I did my home work and noted the P008 engine code frequency in user reviews. Well this car was in great shape to I figured I'd give it a chance. Interior is great, roomy and comfortable. Rear climate controls are great for the second & third row passengers. Car is really stable in the snow. Brakes have a hard time hauling down this heavy car. Gas mileage is nothing to write home about. I get about 16 combined. Fuel fillter cap started misbehaving at about 45k miles. Transmisison developed a very slow leak. Good luck finding the dipstick/filler! Then the engine failed! P0008 engine code. (along with 8 others related to it)
Favorite Features
Good room, good seating. Solid acceleration but you have to really put your foot into it. I like the way it looks too. Decent winter handling.
Suggested Improvements
Gas mileage should be better. Timing chain needs to be made MUCH stronger. This engine is not suitable at all. Check the internet and believe what you read! Pay no attention to the stupid oil change assistant! Change the oil every 3,000 miles! ATF dipstick is hidden away and bolted down. They want you to take it to the shop. Mine is 75 miles away, so no thanks! I like to keep an eye on such things even though the owner' manual says it shouldn't need any attention. Right! I can see how Suzuki needed to declare bankruptcy.