Long-Term Use Report
By SFBay on
2002 Suzuki XL-7 Touring 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 5M)
Got my Suzuki XL-7 in 12/01 and still like it today after 53,000 miles. It was the best SUV for the money at the time with its 3rd row seats and REAL part-time 4WD. I commute with it and now after break-in, Iím getting 20 mpg, I only got 17 mpg before. My XL-7 feels heavy but still it is still fun and sporty to drive. It did really well at the off-road course I took last year. The only problem I had was a coolant leak which may be the dealer's fault. I recommend regular trans/diff fluid changes. And the original tires are lousy, mine were bald at 15,000 miles. Go with Yokohamas, mine are still like new after 30,000 miles. I solved my oil filter access problem by cutting a hole at the wheel well and bolted on an aluminum sheet door. The colored weather strips have all faded.
Favorite Features
The 3rd row seats, real 4WD performance in snow, and it looks great in the gold color. It has lots of great standard features in the Touring model! The whole concept of this small 3 row SUV is so good, Toyota has made one with the new RAV4.
Suggested Improvements
The 17 gallon gas tank is too small which gives me < 300 mile range - even a 20 gallon tank would have been better. Get better dealers.