Used 1995 Suzuki Sidekick SUV Consumer Reviews - 11 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Suzuki Sidekick SUV - Consumer Reviews

1995 Suzuki Sidekick SUV

View reviews for a specific Sidekick model:

Very fond memories of this vehicle...
By Johanna Athas

1995 Suzuki Sidekick SUV JS 4dr SUV

Oh, the Suzuki Sidekick. Such fond memories. We have not had our Sidekick in nearly a decade as we got rid of it back in January of 2007 after 6 long years with it. We bought it in the spring of 2001. This was the very first car that my husband and I (fiance way back then) ever bought together, and it was the very first car I had ever bought in my life, being only 19 at the time. I remember the day we bought it so clearly. I was so excited. It was a candy apple red color with black trim and it was in mint condition, having only had one previous owner and very low mileage. Our Sidekick saw a lot of miles over the years and, with regular routine maintenance, it never let us down. It took us safely through many New England snow storms, took us on countless 3-hour each way weekend road trips to visit my husband's mother, and various other trips over the 6 years we owned it. It had close to 200,000 miles on it by the time finally we traded it in back in 2007. We did have to replace the exhaust on it a few times, which we've never had to do on any other vehicle we've ever owned, but that was the only real issue we ever had with it. My husband thought that it had to do with the location of the exhaust on the vehicle and the rough winters we tend to have. The Sidekick's gas mileage was fantastic (about 20 mpg in the city) and it was great in the snow (we live in New England, so we get a lot of that). My husband and I have nothing but fond memories of this vehicle. We had some fun times with it. In fact, my husband says, even to this day, that if he ever found a Sidekick for sale anywhere, he would buy it in a heartbeat, just for fun and the nostalgia factor. However, I doubt that will ever happen as they're nearly impossible to find nowadays, seeing as they have been out of production for 18 years. I believe the last year the Sidekick was produced was 1998, so it's a very rare find. These days, we are driving a 2010 Jeep Commander Limited and a 2012 Ford Escape XLT. The Escape reminds me a tiny bit of the Sidekick as it's similar in size, but the Sidekick will always have a special place in my heart, being the first vehicle I ever bought as a very young adult, and it was the first big purchase my husband and I ever made together. Those were some good times.

Great little corn jumper.
By Dars youngest son

1995 Suzuki Sidekick SUV JX 4dr SUV 4WD

Sat in a corn field parked for sale. It had been driven through the corn as a 4x4. Corn stalks were sticking out of it; broken headlamp duct taped in, bumper cracked. Fast fwd it's still running 2010! 185,377 miles! Had the tranny flushed. Fluid was black as used motor oil couldn't have been changed in 10 years. Valvoline flushed it clean, pink again. I had oil changed. I drive 50 miles to college daily. It is slow at 1st, but it is an older car. It drives in 4wd on bad snow days, safely goes up icy hill at school. Due to mileage I don't go above 50 mph. City streets are all 45 max anyways. Side roads in country are 55 mph. Great truck for only $500 in 2005.

Four wheel drive is awesome in icy conditions. Storage like a mini van, 20+ mpg city like a car. Rear mounted spare tire. Ac and heat fast. Durable body. Noisy after bumps, might just be this is a beat up truck. Flat locks cant be broken into with a coat hanger like most round locks.

It was made in 1995, they did them I'm sure. I would suggest buying certain parts for it while you can if you have low miles on yours. Air filters hard to find. Only Suzuki dealers can read check engine lights mech stores don't have adapter. Watch it, windy days drive slowly! Frnt locks

My Sidekick still Kickin'
By Weize

1995 Suzuki Sidekick SUV JS 4dr SUV

I purchased my sidekick new 1995 and its still rolling. Minor fixers. 1 major which was reasonable to repair.besides rust at the doorstep on driver side (chicago winters are salty). It still have good pick up and take off. I love the windows so much when I must ride in another car I laugh at the small windows and sideview mirrors; I'm so use to my side kick windows I don't care for others. I do wish it had a cup holder.

the large windows, my seat fit me nicely.

Thaat they make that style again with cup holders and a larger interior light offer more accessories: sunroof (auto- slider)

My Sidekick is still kickin'
By sidekick

1995 Suzuki Sidekick SUV JS 4dr SUV

My Sidekick has taken me everywhere. It always starts in below 0 weather with the original battery for almost 8 years. No major problems. Minor: rust at drivers door. The tires were easy to change. I love the windows (large), not too high up and not too low; my sidekick fits me just fine. even though its a 2 x 4. I live in the city so it's just fine. I have over 179,500 miles on my sidekick.

Storage, gas price.

i wish it had a cup holder somewhere.

Amazing Little SUV
By Onabeach

1995 Suzuki Sidekick SUV JX 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had my little Suzuki Sidekick for seven years now. I drive it for work (sales) and it currently has over 200,000 miles on it. It has only broken down twice the entire time! And the repairs were minor! It is EXTREMELY reliable! This truck is like finding a rare jewel! The gas mileage is unbeatable. It seems like it does the best it can all the time. Like it's giving me it's abolute best in all situations! It is a dream! I highly recommend this vehicle!

The reliablility, exterior style, and the way you feel high enough driving. The Sidekick is compact enough to go anywhere but rugged enough to do anything!

I always wished the back three windows would open or go down. It struggles a bit in heavy wind.