2009 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Worst car I have ever owned!
By hatemysubaru on 10/22/13 16:04 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This was my first Subaru and it will be my last. I have owned all types of cars in my lifetime and this has been the worst. I have 94k highway miles on this car and now I have to replace the catalytic converter for $1,400, sensors, recalls, just replaced the muffler guard for $500 and the list keeps going. This car is severly underpowered and uncomfortable to drive and worse for passengers. I bought it because of the reputation but that was a mistake. To top it off the mileage is only 25 MPG on the highway. I have a family of 5 drivers and everyone hates this car. Don't waste your money on a Sabaru!

Well, that was a huge waste of money!
By deminimis on 04/16/12 15:47 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Only 54,000 miles and the engine hatched. Not only is the car under the factory warranty, but also an extended warranty. Subaru is fighting us tooth and nail. Will have to sue Subaru to get the car fixed under warranty. Will stick with Toyota next time.

2009 Outback Constantly Rattles
By SB on 07/25/10 07:36 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought a 2009 Outback last year and was so happy to have another Subaru. Several months after purchase I noticed a loud rattle in the front, took it to the dealership who told me there were issues with the 2008/2009 Heat Shields - and they replaced mine. The rattle problem seemed to be resolved, however 2 months later - it is rattling again. This time the dealership showed me Memo's of consumer complaints of the rattle - and stated it would probably continue because these Heat Shields are just 'clipped' together instead of being 'bolted' together. AND - be prepared for it to be much worse in the winter time. I wish I knew this in advance - very disappointed! : (

Great Value and Premium Feel
By dstrange on 07/13/10 09:10 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We bought our Outback Limited to be the only family car, trading in a Jeep Grand Cherokee and a Volvo V70. The interior is every bit as nice as the V70 (and then some with the oversized sunroof and great speaker system). We've enjoyed the AWD in the rain and ice and it handles like it's on rails around corners. The only disappointment is the engine's acceleration at lower speeds. Whenever we pull into traffic and engage the "sport mode" to gain acceleration, my husband says, "Go hamsters!" It's also a tight fit for our family on road trips, but the addition of a cargo box on top of the car helps to create more interior space without killing fuel economy (still getting about 22-24 hwy).

A car for the mountains
By Majszak on 04/27/10 08:56 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This car is so tight on the mountain roads that it's almost a sin not go looking for bad weather to drive in. I was actually snow plowed in up to the windows and this car drove out like it was going over a speed bump. Highly recommend this vehicle.

Love my "Roo"
By James on 04/18/10 03:29 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Had this car for a year now, it is my 3rd Subie and second Outback. Put 200,000 miles on my 1998 and loved it, almost broke down when I sold it. We bought this one in California; and after two road trips to SF and Tahoe, shipped it to Germany and have driven to Prague, Berlin, and Amsterdam. She slides along nicely on the Autobahn at 100 mph with ease, the 2.5i at under 4K rpm! Very comfortable with me and mom in the front and the two kids in the back.

Excellent car, some minor issues
By bhorek on 01/24/10 15:40 PM (PST)

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Traded down from an Acura MDX to save some $ and obtain better fuel economy. Our driving is mostly in suburban areas with some highway driving. The car suits our needs very well providing space for the occasional hauling of large items with much better gas mileage than the MDX so overall we are very happy with the car. Somewhat underpowered but we knew that before we bought and still find the car fun to drive with excellent handling.

Love It So Far
By DogMomCT on 08/16/09 13:06 PM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Recently purchased, 7/25/09. First Subaru and AWD vehicle. Wanted an Outback due to New England weathers and having cargo room for my 2 Labs. Really grips the road. No snow yet obviously but it does great in heavy rain. Stereo is supposedly premium: speakers seem to rattle a little if you really turn it up.

Wind noise
By kbob on 08/02/09 05:49 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Love the car, hate the wind noise on both the passenger side- whistle and the driver side continual. Also problems with the windshield wipers. Have had it to Dealership to resolve the wind noise problem(s) and is still not resolved to my satisfaction. We like the car I don't like the excessive wind noise. If I has noticed this in my test drive would not have purchased this vehicle- unfortunate because other than that it seems to be a great car.

Happy Subi Owner
By slolane on 06/11/09 10:29 AM (PDT)

2009 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I love this car! It shines as a well thought out vehicle. The Annapolis dealer provided the best car buying and accessories purchase I have ever experienced. I was able to get it out the door at 24k, I went in at the end of the month and as we all know the 2010's are coming soon. I wanted a 2009 as I'm not comfortable buying a first year remodel of anything. This is to be a long term car for me and from the positive experiences my family and friends have had with Subaru's this can easily be a 150-200k car (or more). The engine and transmission are quite capable and powerful for my city and highway driving. I get 32hwy and 28city... great mpg's for an AWD.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Subaru Outback Wagon in NJ is:

$170 per month*