2005 Subaru Outback Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:
Love/Hate Relationship
By Russ on 03/21/05 23:47 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have a love hate relationship with my Outback. It has been into the dealer 9 times in six months. So far problems with the AC cycling every 15 seconds (hot to cold), defective radio, excessive rattles and squeeks in the drivers dash, coolant leaks, and the final straw, a cruise control that won't stay engaged. Performance wise, the car is great. Average 28-29 MPG highway roundtrip from Reno to Oakland and back. Handles great in deep snow and wet roads. Subaru is working the problems but I am about ready to give this one back! Must be the "one" defective Subaru. Would suggest a better stereo as the speakers are marginal at best for long drives.

We Love this Car
By Pilgrim on 03/06/05 12:33 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is our 1st Subbie and we're hooked. Heated seats, mirrors and wipers. This is a car designed for folks who live in the Great White North! Comfortable ride coupled to the security of AWD is a winning combination. The versatility of a wagon is a plus as well. Would not hesitate to recomend a test drive on a foot of freshly fallen snow!!

LOVE this car!
By elfie on 03/01/05 07:09 AM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had the car for a month now and LOVE it. Everyone who rides in it can't believe it is a base model and how much it costs. It really feels like a luxury car. I went from a minivan to an Outback Wagon and the space has not been an issue as of yet. I have 2 kids in car seats and can fit a third booster seat in the middle in a pinch. Power is sufficient for me and have only felt a very slight lag when the car is loaded with firewood and all seats full with folks. Best feature - cuts through snowy roads like butter! 7" yesterday was no problem for this car. We are now die hard Subaru family and would never purchase anything else. My husband is looking at the Impreza or Outback Sport.

Love this Car!
By Pilgrim on 02/13/05 19:31 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Traded in a 2004 Honda Civic EX at a LOSS to buy this car. At the time we bought the Civic this was our first choice, but the cost was prohibitive. Too bad we did not go with our first choice. If you live in the north this car is the best. Heated seats, wiper de-icers - all designed with us in mind but the AWD is INCREDIBLE! Have had it in 12 inches of fresh snow with NO wheel spin at all. Complaints of lace of power are not as apparent on the manual transmission. Fit & finish are excellent as are the extras such as heated mirrors and seats. No air leaks into the cabin on windy days. If you live in the Great White North and you are considering this car (in any form) BUY IT. You will NOT be disappointed.

2005 AWD 2.5i wagon
By magin on 01/23/05 16:03 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Fun to drive, comfortable, nice lines, looks good. Base motor has adequate power. Lights are bright at night, good visabilty.

Another check engine light
By gvanmoor on 01/20/05 10:48 AM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I also have the check engine light problem with the cruise control light blinking (and the cruise control itself non-functioning). The dealer knows about it but so far hasn't come up with a solution yet. Mileage is excellent; between 25 and 27 mpg overall in mixed driving with Interstate speeds close to80 mph. Gas mileage gets a lot worse from 70 to 80mph; probably the price one pays for the high clearance. The engine gets a little bit noisy at speeds over75 mph. With the 5-speed manual, power is adequate, but nothing special. I can imagine this to be worse with the automatic.

VERY GOOD
By summerdude3283 on 11/26/04 14:15 PM (PST)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This car is great! I have had 4 other Subarus but this one is by far the best! It is soo nice! I recommend this to anyone who wants an in- expensive reliable car. Its really fun to drive and has lots of room.

new to me subaru 1st time subaru owner
By EDH on 09/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I test drove 38 same type cars befor choosing the outback , I was comparing value , safety , style , fuel eccon. fun to drive , visability , history , and dealerships for service and the outback won , I'm having fun , only wish I would have gone for the Limited , the stero needs help in the base model , missing leather and the sunroof , next time round !

Air Conditioning Problems!!
By pitstaff10 on 09/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Great looking car and fun to drive, as long as it's not hot outside. Only 300 miles on car and has been in for repair already. Comfort takes a ding on this one due to the newly designed AC cycles constantly every 20-30 seconds between cold and warm making for an annoying sensation. Outside temp at 82 and inside still not all that cold. Subaru America says that's just the way it is designed and will have to live with it. I've had better AC in cars 20 years old!! Beware of this "new" design!! Gas mileage seems to be great but can be uncomfortable to drive in hot environments, so much for a great commuting vehicle.

problem with 2005
By anxious on 09/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5i AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I just bought a 2005 outback two days ago and love it except for the fact that the day after I drove it off the lot the check engine light came on with a blinking cruise light indicator. The dealership read the code to be the oxygen sensor, cleared it,and said to come back if it comes on again. Well it came back on today and I'm bringing it in to be checked again tomorrow. Here's hoping it turns out to be a minor glitch if anything....