Used 2007 Subaru Impreza Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

2007 Subaru Impreza Wagon

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Has serious mechanical problems
By phil_motor

2007 Subaru Impreza Wagon 2.5 i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

In my experience (I've owned 20+ vehicles in 38 years) this Subaru has serious engine problems that the dealers and Subaru of America do not acknowledge. Expect to have your head gaskets replace (~$2000) on your own dime once the 60,000 mile warranty expires.

Favorite Features

body style is nice

Suggested Improvements

develop a reliable engine that does not regularly need major work.

Not quite a 944 Turbo, but that's alright with me
By khalils

2007 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My 2007 WRX Wagon replaced a 1989 Porsche 944 Turbo. I wanted a car that was a well-rounded and sporty daily driver but with all season reliability, better utility, and lower maintenance costs. The WRX does not have the handling prowess, balance, and speed of the Porsche. In spite of too much weight forward, it a taut handling car and fun to drive in the twisties. Its good in snow, gets decent gas mileage, and has yet to have any mechanical problems whatsoever after 31k miles. I am extremely satisfied with the car. I dumped the RE-92s that came stock on the car and mounted some decent rubber, the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. That made a big, positive difference.

Favorite Features

Turbocharged engine and AWD are great in the mountains. Functional utility of the wagon design, short wheelbase, taught suspension, free revving boxer engine. With a dedicated set of real snows, not much short of a snowdrift can stop it.

Suggested Improvements

Reverse gear can be balky. Interior is a little tinny and could be more refined. Shortly after buying the car, the cruise control stalk developed a loose buzzing that was not fixed. It drives me nuts and is usually fixed with a rubber band. Not the car's best feature.

It Imprezzed Me
By alexander323

2007 Subaru Impreza Wagon 2.5 i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I just bought a used version of the vehicle with only 12,000 miles on it. I really like its fuel efficiency and AWD capability. This car has better gas mileage than my old Jeep Grand Cherokee and has a reputation of being more reliable. The Impreza can do most everything my Jeep can do just in a more compact lighter size.

Favorite Features

I liked the storage capacity underneath the trunk and the design and shape of the captain's chairs. Since the version of the Impreza that I have is the most basic there's not a lot of features on car.

Suggested Improvements

I don't like the height of the center console. It's too low and when you rest your elbow on it your shoulders lean inward. Resting your elbow on the center console for too long strews up your posture and can irritate your back. The other improvement to the vehicle I would suggest is a overhead light above the trunk. I am caught using the light on my cell phone to try to find a particular item in my trunk that's not illuminated by the interior light. It also could use an auxiliary hookup for an Ipod

MPG is better than listed - Fun drive!
By Lauren

2007 Subaru Impreza Wagon 2.5 i 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Six months and 14,000 miles into ownership, and I get happier each time I drive it. I use the Sub mainly to commute 3 hours each way into D.C. over the mountains and down the hills. Why the Suba-Rules: - The bucket seats are comfortable, great for long drives; - Very responsive steering; nimble; - Very responsive acceleration and most importantly, - I avg 27-29 MPG. The worst I got with plenty of city driving was 24 MPG. On trips where the speed limit was 55, I broke 30 MPG. Initially, the listed 22 MPG on this site and the 22-27 MPG on the manufacturer's site made the decision to purchase a bit of a drawback but AWD was important. Turns out, I got a nice mix of fun and function.

Favorite Features

Responsive steering; slim body (easy for parking); AWD; good, responsive acceleration (I drive a manual; not as responsive in the automatics I tested).

Suggested Improvements

Radio scan button that automatically continues to scan until you stop it; brighter headlines; larger fog lights; higher suspension; light in the hatchback area; key hole on hatchback door (or button release on dash board); simplified security system.

Good Little Car So Far!
By First Sub

2007 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

After about 25000 miles over a year and a half, I have been very pleased with the Outback sport. It's pretty fun to drive, decent power, decent fuel economy, and enough space for my stuff. I have a bit of a lead foot, and this does have enough power to get me in trouble, but not enough to were I will loose my license. I just paid it off, so I now intend to drive it into the ground, hopefully another 7-10 years.

Favorite Features

Aux input jack, CD Changer, Rubber mat in the back of the cargo compartment. Suspension holds up under potholes pretty well.

Suggested Improvements

A little more low end torque, bit more rear seat room, and better gas mileage would be nice.