2002 Subaru Impreza Consumer Review: Transmission Problems

2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon - Consumer Review

Transmission Problems
By bigsuda on

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car about six months ago with 47k miles on it. Pretty low for an '02. I was having problems with getting it into first gear and reverse so I took it in to the local dealership. They told me that there was a problem (I expected it to be the clutch), and was told that there is a problem with the synchronizers in the transmission! Seems a little low mileage, well maybe a lot low, to be having problems with a transmission. I haven't added any aftermarket parts and take care of all my cars! Might be a lemon, but seems to be a ridiculous deal. $1500+ bill just to get started. Oh, and the warranty just expired 4 months ago due to an '01 delivery date. Wonderful!

Turbocharger, very economical vehicle, ability to handle any conditions including snow.

Door speakers are really shallow so upgrading is impossible. Make it reliable, nobody should have to deal with transmission problems under 50k miles.