2015 smart fortwo Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 4 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2015 smart fortwo Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific fortwo model:

WE WERE STUPID TO BUY A SMART!!!
By RB

2015 smart fortwo Hatchback pure coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

We purchased the Smart fortwo thinking we will save money on gas and save on maintenance as the car is relatively simple compared with today's sophisticated vehicle standard. WRONG! The MPG is okay not comparable to other vehicles in the same or larger size range. The battery which is located under the passenger carpet died twice within the first 8K miles and by the time we accumulated 20K, we had to have the Smart towed to the dealer because it abruptly died in the middle of traffic and would not restart.

The BIG SHOCK was the dealer's $15,000.00 estimate of repair... If you're thinking that the engine or transmission failed, you'd be wrong. According to the dealer, whoever replaced the battery the second time failed to properly ensure that a condensation hose that runs from the AC over the top on the battery and through the floor was reconnected properly. The condensation accumulated between the foam under the carpet and the metal floor, and shorted out the transmission module under the driver's seat and wiring harness. The carpet above never got wet so we had no clue this was occurring underneath.

After further inspection, it was evident that the hose actually pops off by itself and it was more of a design failure than a battery installation error. Besides, is it SMART german engineering to run an AC condensation line with a pop off break directly over the battery?

The $15,000.00 was a joke since you can almost buy a new Smart for that. So we called Mercedes/Smart customer service for assistance and after a one month run-around, they offered nothing! Not even an acknowledgement that they have a design problem even though it's well documented on Smart Blogs.

It is no wonder that the Smart Car made it on both Consumer Reports' Worst new cars of 2014 list and Edmunds The 17 Worst Cars You Can Buy. In fact, It's No.1 on Edmunds list with the subcaption "Friends Don't Let Friends Buy These Vehicles"

Save your money, don't be so dumb as to buy a Smart!

What a great little car
By snowyrivers

2015 smart fortwo Hatchback pure coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

After driving Class 8 trucks for over 20 years I wanted something small, fuel efficient and fun.
Bought our Smart last fall and have no regrets.
I wish these car bloggers had some idea about transmissions, as the Smart tranny is a sweet little gear box.
Shifted manually it is as smooth as silk.
Let it do things on its own and its not quite up to my standards of a smooth shift, but in the hands of a neophite that has never touched a real stick shift, it will get them from A TO B without grinding the gears or wasting the clutch. Benz got this right. At 2 million miles under my belt juggling big rigs, this little car is sweeeeeet. GREAT LITTLE RIDE. We get 34 city and have seen 60 hwy MPG

All of it Just getting ready to buy a new one

Keep it the same, it works, and works well

The 2015 Smart is the best compact on the planet !!
By sillyemail1982

2015 smart fortwo Hatchback pure coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

This little car has the heart of a lion the turning radius of a peanut and the fit and finish of the big brother, Mercedes Benz. We have owned 4 & brought home # 4 last night. For the size of the car you'd never know you were in something that small. Acceleration is excellent, parking is a breeze, gas mileage is outstanding, heated leather seats are so nice. This car is a blast to drive. Young or old this IS the car for everyone. Mercedes quality all the way. NO road noise if it's at the dealership ? It's for a car wash. You can depend on this car for years and years. We own a Pure commuter for my husband and I own a Brabus. Both are 2015's. We LOVE these little cars.

Fit and finish !! Quality !! It's a baby Benz !! Love the 3 driving options, auto, stick or paddle shift. Comfort, security, safety, safety, safety !!! Lots of bells and whistles standard. Comfort !! Tons of head room, fits 2 humans comfortably and lots of room for groceries. We drive them all over the country. Road trips are our favorite in the Smart cars. We love these cars !!

Bring the turbo to the US and the For-Four, 4 door Smart car. No improvements needed other than those. It's rolling perfection.

Fabulous Car Unbeatably Economical
By danawanapskana

2015 smart fortwo Hatchback pure coupe 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I took this thing from Schenectady area New York all the way to the coast of Oregon in about 12 days. I took my time on the country roads for long winding miles with hours sometimes between gas stations. It got stares, comments, questions, smiles and even some curious gawking from cute girls and a driver of a brand new Ferrari.
It was awesome to drive across country, even up and around the steep Rockies with no barriers from 5000 foot drops and now I find it's even more fun to drive around where I'm living- to the gym or to shop, to get into the bigger city by Interstate and the State highways. It's absolutely wonderful to take through a pretty town with country driving in mind. Marvelous

First thing is that it's cute to girls. Second is that it gets incredibly high gas mileage and the payment is low. Third is that it maneuvers very well. Fourth is that I feel safe and comfortable as possible for anything like it on the market. Fifth is that it's pretty easy to clean. Sixth is that I know it's an enduring design and won't break down on me. Seventh is that I don't have to take someone who I don't want in the car if I have a date and that means we can be alone. Eighth is the room of the storage compartment in the back- you can fit two standard sized Coleman coolers and stack groceries for say a couple hundred bucks before it's full and that's without using the passenger seat.

Fix the stupid window roller upper - get electric or make the sucker in a position that makes it easier to roll the heck up!! Second is to put a little light around the area where the car key goes in- that is hard to find for me sometimes in the dark. Then put some kind of barrier or design advent to the side of the door most likely to get nicked if some giant side swiper truck lady decides to open her door 3 feet too wide and smack into yours, like what happened to me at WalMart!