Used 2008 smart fortwo Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 smart fortwo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific fortwo model:

Stupid Car!
By clins

2008 smart fortwo passion 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Had issues from almost day 1. Went through a small puddle during rain storm - caused the passenger seat airbag light to go on. Has never turned off. Barely touch the key while it's in ignition it will turn the engine off. Completely unsafe when you are driving. Had it happen a few times (dog touched it). Have repeated issue with the engine not wanting to go into gear, especially reverse. Don't want to even attempt to do a u-turn because it might not go into R and you are stuck in middle of road. Goes through phases. Works for a few weeks then it doesn't. Someone suggested rain might affect it. Battery dies often too. I live on an island & to ship it over costs $400. Have not seen dealer.

Seat warmers are nice. Lots of leg room. I am almost 6' tall and have no issue. Can even fit my great dane in the passenger seat, or in the back if she curls up.

This car is completely unsafe. Between not wanting to go into gear, the insane shifting it does, and the fact that tapping the key while in the ignition will shut it off, I am amazed there have not been lawsuits. Thought maybe it was just my car, but there are a few others on the island that have Smart Cars and most have had similar problems. Unfortunately the only other alternative here is a golf cart, and that doesn't keep you very warm in the winter.

horn & door problems lies on extended warranty
By kulumao

2008 smart fortwo passion 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I love my 2008 Smart passiion. I have less than 12000 miles on it. The first time i had to use the horn, it does not work, the plastic part on the door hinge is missing. I bought a platinum ext warranty at the time and was told it covered bumper to bumper for 5 years. Now they told me the horn problem is not covered and the door hinge missing part is not covered either. what a rip off, never buy any ext warranty from mercedes benz again. I won't touch any MB either, Lexus gave much better service and had no problems.

I hate this car so much...
By foxmajik

2008 smart fortwo passion 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I've had to take this car in for work more than my used '92 Mazda Protege. For various reasons, from plastic pieces falling off the interior to the air dam in the front snapping off and dragging on the freeway. The gas mileage is atrocious for a car this small (around 25 mpg). The transmission is a confused and nervous little curmudgeon that can't decide what gear it wants to be in when you're under 15 mph and keeps jumping back and forth between 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear. Every time the gear shifts the car lurches back and lunges forward like I've slammed on the brakes. And this is normal for smart cars, every one I've been in does it, even after having the transmission firmware upgraded.

The heated seats are nice.

There's really no fixing this car, it's been scrapped and redesigned several times and they still haven't gotten it right. Driving this car is like driving one of those little plastic ride-ons they sold at Wal-mart when I was a kid. The build quality is seriously disappointing. The transmission is a joke. This is the only car I've ever driven where I've had to take it to the dealership several times because parts kept falling off. The air conditioner wheezes and puffs and can barely keep the tiny cabin cool when cranked to the max.

2008 Piece of Junk
By dispshannon

2008 smart fortwo passion 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I purchased this vehicle new and within 1 year was having trouble with the transmission ...Wont go into reverse. Dealership says nothing wrong. 1 year later..NO WARRANTY and now it wont go into reverse or forward. How do you drive a car that wont do forward or reverse..YOU DONT...

Parking is easy..Can go anywhere when it will.

Replace ALL TRANSMISSIONS

Don't buy a 2008 dealer buyback = LEMON
By Cindy

2008 smart fortwo passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Really disappointed with this car. Yes it's fun to drive, great to put the top down, and yes its cute- however when I went to trade it in- it turns out that a dealer buy back = LEMON in the car world. Thus- hideous trade in value. Shame on you Annapolis Smart- Mercedes. Buy back = Lemon- run don't walk from the 2008- check the title history, if you see dealer buy back look elsewhere unless you plan on keeping it forever.