2008 smart fortwo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific fortwo model:
Ideal Key West Car!
By Tom Lavender on 11/04/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 smart fortwo passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I have a very early 2008 Passion Cabrio. Really enjoy the car, but it's 150 miles to the dealer. Have had many driveability problems. It took Smart 2 1/2 years to figure what the backup problem was. I had cruise control installed, the dealer blamed the backup problem on the cruise. I had the cruise uninstalled still had the problem. I truly love the car but just don't understand Smarts logic as to marketing and service. I'm out of warranty and ready to trade cars Smart Weston acts like they don't want my car back. It is a wonderful car, would be even better if the dealer wasn't 150 miles away. They need better warranty and better service centers.

Like no other car!
By Gabe on 11/02/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 smart fortwo pure 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Very enjoyable, and great response from other drivers and people. Lots of smart fans around! I really enjoyed it. I sold it for a VW Golf, that feels like a cruise ship in comparison! The transmission is AWFUL and needs getting used to. Slow and heaving when it shifts gears. Also, it had a bunch of repairs, recalls, bulletins under warranty, that were marvelously and fully and competently addressed by Smart Center Portland. Very safe and fun on the freeway.

Lies and and verbal promises
By michael on 10/21/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 smart fortwo passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

We were one of the first people (71/72nd) in Florida to buy this car 28 months ago. We bought the convertible with all the extras 24k total from the start we started having mechanical problems. We also bought an extended warranty $1400. Time after time the car was having to be towed and it wasn't just one thing. It was the shifter twice the engine twice the a/c and it goes on and on. The car is now broke and sitting in our yard with 30k miles. The warranty doesn't cover transporting the car after 24k. This was after a sales person assured us the if anything go wrong including the tires for 70k miles it will be towed and fixed at no cost.

Two Year Update
By Alan Griff on 09/13/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 smart fortwo passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

After two years, the honeymoon is over, but the marriage is still good. I adapted to the fussy transmission. A relaxed driving style works wonders. The ride actually improved with time. Winter driving is okay, but winter parking after a snowstorm is painful because the smart is so light. In the Summer, the AC occasionally blows hot air or the fan stops, and this is after the fan was replaced, a popular warranty fix, I've been told. The driver side airbag cover popped a bit. Unsightly. But that's the extent of the bad stuff. Overall, the smart is still mostly a pleasure. I'm 5'9" weigh in the high 200s and the car is comfortable and easy to enter and exit. The ragtop of choice.

Smart Car - a Dissappointment
By Walter Martin on 09/03/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 smart fortwo pure 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Very dissatisfied with our smart car. The transmission is a joke with very rough head snapping gear shifts, which, because there are five gears, seem to happen all the time in city driving. (At one point our transmission failed to be able to go into reverse. The merecedes dealership fixed this for no charge saying there were "thousands of smart cars with the same problem." If thats the case mercedes should do a recall and fix them all.) The suspension is rough with even minor bumps being uncomfortable. The car was so uncontrollable on ice that special winter tires had to be purchased for it. With the winter tires it is about the same as any car on ice with summer tires. Costly mistake

Fun runabout!
By risean on 08/31/10 10:17 AM (PDT)

2008 smart fortwo pure 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I find that I get over 40 MPG I have 24,000 miles on the car now and love it. It parks anywhere and I haven't had a lick of trouble with it. The car is amazingly stable on the highway and has plenty of space for two and a weekends worth of gear and supplies. I love it and would buy another one.

You will forever regret this!
By Robert_Kern on 07/27/10 16:54 PM (PDT)

2008 smart fortwo passion 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I have had my smart for just under 2 years now. At first it seemed perfect for New York. 150 Dollar Parking per month, fits in tight places, etc. Very quickly however did I find out what an unreliable, terrible little car this is. It has broken down multiple times due to computer errors, failing transmission, clutch, etc. It shakes everything lose on the car whenever you hit the slightest bump. Even a sewer lid produces a noisy thump and a jolt. The car shakes at highway speeds and now my roof is starting to crack. And where is smart? They don't want to have anything to do with the car, the service departments don't know very much about it, the customer service is horrific!

Smart Metro Car
By Dan K on 07/25/10 13:10 PM (PDT)

2008 smart fortwo pure 2dr Hatchback (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

I live in Tucson, AZ and the only hwy driving I've done is to take it 90 miles to Chandler for servicing once a year. Not fun to drive in strong cross winds where everyone wants to drive 85+ mph (limit is 75 mph). Helps to find a mid-sized truck or large van going 75 mph to follow behind. Got 57 mpg on one hwy, 50 mph on my most recent trip (with A/C). Car is perfect for driving around Tucson where hwy travel is limited. The high profile is not great for high wind at high speeds, but it makes getting in and out much easier on the knees. Well worth the trade off for me. Can override auto shifting when needed. Not good with "California stops" as it confuses the auto shift.

'08 Cabriolet
By Primo on 07/02/10 05:32 AM (PDT)

2008 smart fortwo passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

'Fun to drive' does not do justice to this little car, if you want attention, this is the car. Everywhere I go people stop and ask questions about this car. Some have even asked to sit in it or take pictures. I let my wife drive it sometimes and when she's leaving I am thinking "Boy that thing is small", but when you are inside, it seems much bigger, headroom and legroom is no problem, the ride is a bit bumpy, and the trans is something you either get used to or you don't like it. As far as power goes, I have no problem getting up to speed to enter the expressways, and I have had my car up to 85 mph with no problems. You do get tossed around abit when a semi-truck passes by though.

Not What I Was Expecting
By bikerchick3 on 05/09/10 13:58 PM (PDT)

2008 smart fortwo passion cabrio 2dr Convertible (1.0L 3cyl 5AM)

Rides horribly. Faulty transmission has left me stranded a couple of times and the dealership won't do anything about it. original battery was "bad" and left me stranded, but they replaced it. Gas mileage in the city is only ~25 mpg., much less than I was expecting.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.