Used 2000 Saab 9-5 Aero Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 9-5 model:

What a Kick A** Car
By mwalker16

2000 Saab 9-5 Aero Turbo 4dr Sedan

Ok so this is my first car and holy crap is it fast! My friends love it and i love having the ability to past people on the freeway easily. I can overpower cars with v8 motors and this thing is a rocket! On the bad..... It does have small issues from now and then. yes the wipers, blower motor and rear window stoped working they were all simple fixes and it was worth it to me. IF YOU WANT TO NEVER HAVE ISSUES BUT DRIVE A BORING SLOW CAR GET A TOYOTA. This car will also save ur life in a wreck it is very solid. This thing is mean and for a car with nearly 150,000 miles it feels brand new. Thank you saab for an amazing first car I will for sure own one for the rest of my life.

Favorite Features

Everything!!!!

Suggested Improvements

Less torque steer but honestly this is very nit picky it is a great car

I love my Saab, but you must maintain
By COASUTX

2000 Saab 9-5 Aero Turbo 4dr Sedan

This is the 3rd Saab I have owned. Not only do I feel extremely safe in the vehicle, I also love driving it. However, if you are looking for a low maintenance vehicle, this is not a good buy for you. Saabs are great cars for people who do not mind spending a little TLC (and money) on their car. Provided you fix things when they start to break (and the car will let you know when something funny starts happening), most repairs are manageable. I love my Saab, and would recommend it for any parents who are looking to purchase it for a safe car for a more experienced driver (18+)! Love your Saab and it will love you back!

Favorite Features

Winter mode and Sport mode! So great!

Suggested Improvements

Making parts more available when they need to be replaced (I have waited for 2 weeks while I waited on a part. :(

SAAB 9-5 Aero
By vintravia

2000 Saab 9-5 Aero Turbo 4dr Sedan

I love this car. It's quick, gets good fuel economy and looks expensive. The mid-range acceleration of this car is amazing and there's no turbo lag. I like how the engine is 2.3 liters instead of 2.0 because it makes it so there's not as much lag and the car doesn't have to rely on the turbo as much so the power band is much more linear. If you get this car make sure you get the Aero. It's the best model. It gives you 230 HP according to Saab (But it's been said to be more like 250) and 258 lbs. ft. of torque. It feels even quicker than that though and it can really handle in the corners as well. The steering quickness and feel is excellent and it provides good road and even engine feedback!

Favorite Features

Ventilated seats, Heated back seats, Cooled glove box, Fold down rear head restraints and 2 sun visors (one for front and side.) The overall car has a very old school feel to it and it feels special.

Suggested Improvements

Shorter throw gearbox and less boost leaks.

Built to Last - Designed to Protect
By saabzerphun

2000 Saab 9-5 Aero Turbo 4dr Sedan

I love this car. It is my 4th Saab; I have enjoyed it the most. Accelerating is a lot of fun; the manual tranny is my favorite part. Inside, the seats are perfect for long trips. Both front and back are heated. In the snow, you are the big dog on the road with a set of Gislaved Nord Frost 3 winter tires. I have had no reliability issues in almost 39,000 miles. At around 60,000 miles I fell asleep and left the road at 60 mph; flew about 35' and came to rest in the ditch. I needed a tow out of the ditch but drove it home and the small dealer I bought it from fixed it up fine. I'm still driving it and, except for the driver's side front floor mat, the car looks and drives as new. Great car.

Favorite Features

5-speed manual transmission provides great performance and outstanding mpg. With the manual tranny, the engine is tuned to provide an extra boost to over 270 lb-ft of torque. It is most welcome.

Suggested Improvements

If I could add one thing, it would be a hatch. I miss the hatch on the 9000. Next time I'll hold out for a 9-5 Aero wagon with a 6-speed manual tranny.

Great 8 years!
By Peter

2000 Saab 9-5 Aero Turbo 4dr Sedan

Our 9-5 has been a really good car. Mainly use it as a winter driver these days, but it is comfortable, quick and very fuel efficient on the highway for the performance the car delivers. On 6 separate occasions reached over 500 miles (800 kilometres) on a single tank of fuel. Parts can be expensive, but taking our car to a local ex-Saab mechanic who has his own garage, it's been wonderful. He immediately is able to diagnosis the situation and supply replacement parts at a price that a regular Saab dealer would not. Would I purchase a Saab again, absolutely but it has to have the performance, space and efficiency that the 1999-2008 95 has, which I understand is only about a year away.

Favorite Features

The engine, wonderful flat torque curve. The seats, exceptionally comfortable for long haul driving. The interior space and trunk capacity for a car with an overall length of only 190 inches.

Suggested Improvements

The availability of all-wheel-drive, coming this year to the 9=3, assume that the new 9-5 will have this drivetrain available as well. Availability of larger brakes, alternative suspension components, wheels through reputable Saab dealers in North America such as Hirsch Performance in Europe.