2003 Pontiac Vibe Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Pontiac Vibe - Consumer Reviews

2003 Vibe Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Vibe model:

Sort Reviews by

Worst car I've ever bought
By pra22

2003 Pontiac Vibe Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used 3 months ago (with 118,000 miles), and in the 3000 miles I've driven it, it has needed TWO catalytic convertors! It also needed repair on a window that was cobbled together (which of course, I couldn't see). It is also the NOISIEST car I've ever had. It revs up alot each morning when it is cold outside until I've traveled a few miles at higher speeds. I rue the day I bought this car and I'm afraid to drive it for fear the transmission will be next. I clearly have a lemon.

Favorite Features

Roomy, handles well.

Suggested Improvements

NEVER ever buy a car with TWO catalytic convertors because they are $500 a piece. Also when buying a used car, be sure to: 1) turn off all radios, blowers so you can hear the engine 2) check thoroughly for burn holes (push front seat backs apart from seat so you can see into cracks - big burn hole I discovered later) 3) get into back seat and thoroughly inspect 4) look at ceiling for wear and dirt 5) roll and unroll all windows completely up and down (mine fell out of track when lowered certain amount) 6) if warranty is offered - take it 7) look in trunk and check for signs of rust 8) don't buy a car that has more than average number of owners (look at car fax)

I still love my car!!
By Kathy

2003 Pontiac Vibe Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Clocked over 120K in 10 years and still going strong. Fits everything I ever needed it to...Camping Gear, Kayaks on the roof, 46in flat screen, my 3 dogs, and dozens of 8foot 2x4s for the occasional home project. I live in PA and its been to Florida, Boston, New Orleans and everywhere in between. Its my first choice for long trips and gets great gas mileage-upper 30's on the highway. Great in all weather, even snow, but good all weather tires are a must. Odd problems are just starting to happen now...need to change the Catalytic Converter, first fuse just blew last month and something is wrong with the vent in the gas tank. Filling up takes forever. But still the best car ever!

Favorite Features

Cruise controll, Auto headlights. Moon and Tunes Package with 6 speakers and sun roof. Also added aftermarket rain gaurds and Auto start. Couln't live without either.

Suggested Improvements

More room surrounding the outlet. I never use it as most plug are larger the the standard lamp plug. Even cell phone plugs don't fit. Also would be nice to have an audio output jack for the stereo.

Great Car
By JohnR

2003 Pontiac Vibe Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my Vibe with 33,000 miles and now has 108,000 after my 5 years of ownership. Oil changes every 5000 miles. First brake job when it was in the 90k range. Changed the belt and did a few other preventative items at the same time but that's it. Car has been great and is zippy enough to be fun to drive. Ugly GM radio but the sound is good. My drivers window rattles a bit but it's the only one so there may have been some damage to it before I got it. All in all, this is a great car if you are looking for a reliable, sporty, and convenient vehicle to own.

Favorite Features

Who says you need a 1/2 ton pickup for your average run to Home Depot? Just fold down the back seats and open the hatch. Plenty of room for hauling 99% of the time.

Suggested Improvements

I think the radio is terribly ugly but that's just a personal preference. Other than that that can't say I'd recommend anything at this price point.

Great on gas, but poor engine
By Kristy

2003 Pontiac Vibe Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my vibe because I have heard such good reviews, and I liked the fact that it is a Toyota in disguise, but I am truly dissapointed. The check engine light came on and when checked out, it turns out I need a catalytic converter, also it has started losing oil so a compression test was done and I need a new engine also, which is why my cat. converter went bad. I have been sooo upset because I dont have the money to just go and put a whole new engine in and I have to have a car. Regular oil changes have always been done in this car so we dont know why the engine has went bad. I hope everyone else has better luck with their vibe.

Favorite Features

it sits fairly high, I like where the gear shift is located, I love the fold down seats, very nice when hauling stuff. I like the interior design, though some parts are cheaply made.

Great little car
By Vibe Ride

2003 Pontiac Vibe Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I now have over 171000 miles on my Vibe. I have done my own oil changes sense I bought it. I replaced the front rotors and brake pads at 120000 miles. The only issue ever has been the check engine light is on and it is a possible of 4 issues but it still runs excellent. Front drives seat had a spring break and now there is a tear in the fabric. Out side of these items this has been a great car. 3 out of 4 of my family cars are Pontiac. We also have an 05 Sunfire and a 98 Grand Am GT. This Vibe handles well. Decent pick up for a small 4 cylinder. Plenty of head room for a 6'2" tall driver. Nice fuel economy on it. I still get about 28 MPG with it.

Favorite Features

MPG's. Head room. The lack of issues I have had with it.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the sun visor. Hits the rear view mirror when lowered.

Good Car - 163,000 miles
By Mike

2003 Pontiac Vibe Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Vibe new in January '03, and it has been very reliable. I was horrified at first, when I leaned against the front fender, and it caved in like a paper bag, but the drivetrain is pure Toyota. I had a sensor replaced at around 100K for around $100, but that's it. I changed the hoses and serpentine belt, and flushed the radiator at around 80K, but that's it. My check engine light and airbag light are on, but it still runs great. It doesn't heat up until highway speed, so I think the thermostat is sticking. I am 6'3 and 275#, but I fit fine. My family of 4, and our luggage got 33mpg @ 80mph when the car was new!

Favorite Features

Reliability and gas mileage! Roomy for a small car.

Suggested Improvements

Terrible structural integrity. The body is like tin foil, and the plastic underneath the front, inside and out is falling off! I suspect I'll be driving only a chassis soon! Very noisy.

Love my Vibe!
By Feather

2003 Pontiac Vibe Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We bought the Vibe new in 2003 and have only had to do the brakes, oil changes, and tires - and we're almost at 100K (97K right now). Even though we can't fit three car seats in the back (darn!) and have #3 on the way, we are keeping this car as my husband's daily driver. Easy to drive, enough horsepower for me - LOVE the storage capabilities with this car, and I would recommend one to anyone. Definitely impressed with my first (and what seems like my last due to the demise of the brand) Pontiac.

Favorite Features

Fold down seats, flexible interior design. When we only had one child (and a dog) we would fold down the one seat in the back for the "dog space" and keep my son's carseat on the other side. Perfect!

Suggested Improvements

More than 49 inches of rear hip room so I might be able to get three car seats in there! :)

Not sexy, but dependable
By Jay Brad

2003 Pontiac Vibe Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our Vibe with 36,000 miles and are now at 96,000 miles. The only repair was on the alternator at 90,000 miles. Outside of that it has just been oil changes and brake pads. This is a great car! The only thing it lacks is a cool factor. However, we drive a ton and the whole family enjoys the ride.

Favorite Features

Sun roof-Great on summer days! Fold down seats in back-Great for Home Depot runs. Toyota Engine-No horse power, but very dependable Gas Mileage is amazing. 30MPG no matter where you drive.

Suggested Improvements

Our Vibe has a mesh material that is very hard to keep clean when you have kids.

GrannyVibes
By beckys56

2003 Pontiac Vibe Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have had no problems with the vibe. It gets great gas mileage on hwy 35- 36,in town average 29. Lots of room for my camping equipment and grandkids. Got a lewis and clark bag for the top when in travel mode, works great saves room in vehicle for other things. Do wish I had cruise control. Would suggest for people to purchase a vibe. Not really liking the new design, but as long as they didn't chg the mileage I could handle the new design. I have drove 70000 miles in 6yrs, I would drive my vibe any where if need be, handles great, even in snow. Change oil 3000 miles or 3mths,tires 1x a year and yearly check ups.

Favorite Features

gas mileage, room, sunroof,all around great vehicle

Suggested Improvements

seats need to be more comfortable for long travel.

If it was a lesser car, I'd be dead.
By can't complain

2003 Pontiac Vibe Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I was recently hit by someone who ran a stop sign; t-boned the car, and it was slammed tail first into an electric pole. We walked away from the car with soft tissue damage; if it'd been a lesser car, we would have been badly hurt. No side air bags--I LOVED my car. Filled up each Sunday, got me around for the week with 40 miles a day average, with manual transmission. Had a problem with the gas tank, but it was just an annoyance. Car was NEVER a headache. After 6 years, it still had a beautiful exterior, paint held up well. Seats stain a little too easily, imo. Drove well, only had to replace the clutch, NEVER had any serious engine problems. FUN TO DRIVE, just check my mileage, lol!

Favorite Features

Great car for small family. Intuitive placement of controls. Great on gas, adequete space. Had cruise control on manual, was incredibly safe even w/o side airbags.

Suggested Improvements

Might want to up-grade the tires, seat cloth was not "wipe clean" as stated by dealership. shoulder and lap belt on center backseat instead of lap belt. GAS TANK problem! Had to fuel up very slowly in order for car to take gas; dealership actually made problem worse, so might be unique to car.