2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:
GTP Eats Mustang GT's and poops Subaru STI's
By eddymerckx on 05/23/14 22:03 PM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GTP 2dr Coupe

The 3.8 SC motor is under-rated at 240hp, unlike the Japanese who over-state their motor output. My stock motor on a Dyno put out 304 hp. If you dream of Audi S4 performance, but need reliability, look no further than the Pontiac GTP. These engines are bullet proof, except for the occasional intake gasket which although time consuming is not a terrible job. $500 tops at any shop. A Wards top ten engine mated to a reworked GM trans able to take the extra output.

Great car at 9 years old
By SMG_MP7A1 on 01/05/10 10:14 AM (PST)

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GTP 2dr Coupe

This is an absolutely fantastic car. My GTP is 9 almost 10 years old and runs like new with 132,000 miles. I had a full run of tests done on this car when my a/c went out and it had only three problems 1.a/c pump went dead 2. small oil leak due to old gasket on oil pan 3. Not exactly a problem yet but i was told to keep an eye on the CV boot. Fun to drive, starts just like a GM should, 0-60 somewhere in the mid 6's. pretty comfortable on long drives except the leather makes your back sweaty. got the a/c pump replaced and i am going to put a new oil pan gasket on myself during next oil change. This car I think could benefit from a 5 speed instead of a 4.

Love The Speed
By Kevin P on 11/08/09 21:48 PM (PST)

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GTP 2dr Coupe

I have now owned my GTP for three + years now and I love it ... I have had to do some work to it.. Fuel pump resister, window motors, and upgraded the brakes... But all in all a fun car to own and a lot of fun to eat up all those v8 guys out there.. Have had a cooling system problem at like 190,000 but all to be expected Now working on upgrading the interior and putting in a gen 3 motor for more power...Would definitely suggest for a fun weekender that will get you to work on mon...

Fun, looks good but poor quality
By CEH on 04/22/09 09:38 AM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GTP 2dr Coupe

Bought the car new. Still like the car, but expensive to maintain. Have had lots of minor problems and some major ones. Water leaks around doors and trunk, lumbar support switch replaced several times, Bose radio led disappeared, heater fan replaced, headlight plastic replaced, power window switches quit working, auto feature on rearview mirror does not work, fuel pump replaced, brake light wiring shorted out, etc. Major problems: Car vibrates when accelerating. Dealer replaced HUBS and axles and motor mounts three times as well as brake rotors. Alignment did not help. New tires did not help. New wheels did not help. I just live with the vibration now.

Heartthrob to Headache
By Illinois Girl on 07/07/08 23:38 PM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GTP 2dr Coupe

Purchased 2 1/2 years ago. Loved the vehicle from the beginning. I still like the car, but not the repairs. I have had to replace the thermostat 3 times in the 2 1/2 years, the fuel pump 3 times within the last year, engine replacement, and now my gas cap is leaking air and the temp light is coming on again at times. It gets me to and from where I need to go on a somewhat reliable basis, but everyday I Wonder when will be the next time it's not going to start and need yet another tow. I have taken care of the car and still these problems. Makes me wish I didn't still owe so much on it!

Fast and reliable
By raiderzfan422 on 02/09/08 13:41 PM (PST)

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GTP 2dr Coupe

I have had my 2000 GTP for 3 years now and love it. I cant stop upgrading it. I love to power it has for a v6 and with all the available upgrades its a V8 eater. Great handling and quick acceleration. Also love the sound of a supercharger. Gets good gas milage for the kind of vehicle it is. For under 800 dollars this car can be improved from 240 stock to 300 hp.

Reliable Pontiac
By barrys42 on 08/09/06 15:39 PM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GTP 2dr Coupe

I've had 3 Grand Prixs before purchasing this one 6 1/2 years ago. This has been by far the most reliable American car I've had. The only things I've had repaired was a faulty ABS sensor (under warranty) and replaced the fan motor. Evidently there is a small discharge hole that can clog easily and rust out the motor. The performance of the Grand Prix is great for such a heavy car. A heavy car certainly helps for stability and passenger protection. My MPG averages about 19-20 in city driving and gets around 30 on the highway. MPG has improved with time. The interior leather is cheap but comfortable. The Heads Up Display is such a great item I don't know why it's not offered more.

True Ride
By M john J on 05/28/05 12:01 PM (PDT)

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GTP 2dr Coupe

let's see not only is this car very comfortable it also looks sharp. the interior is very sleek with tons of extras i could'nt even list them all. never had any problems but like any car its all how you treat it i had a friend who beat on it pretty bad and even his held most of the torcher, all age car ia right on the money i like it and all my friends complement it and i let my parents borrow it for 2 week and they loved it! they fought over it... good in the snow and i always feel safe in it. Avoid 2 accidents in it and had complete control while swiving ... Its a keeper in my eyes!

amazing 6'er
By mat on 03/07/05 10:06 AM (PST)

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GTP 2dr Coupe

The comfort level inside the car is amazing I took a lot of team trips where every seat was filled and only the middle back person complained but still appreciated the extra room compared to other cars. This car is good for any age driver everyone could get something good out of it!

Love the car
By tina on 12/11/04 20:43 PM (PST)

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix Coupe GTP 2dr Coupe

Have had a lot of problems with expensive items. Thank goodness for extended warranty GMPP. Paid for it all. 3 climate control systems, 2 radio/cd players, 2 power window motors, an engine coolant seal leak, 1 heads up display, and another $1500 repair for some kind of sensor that kept shutting the engine down when it warmed up and we stopped. I love the car even with all of the repairs because like I said I didn't pay for them GMPP did. :) I think all of the repairs have totaled about $6000