The Family Heirloom
By 3ggplant on
1997 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan
My grandmother purchased this vehicle new back in '97. Since then it has passed down to me. From a teen's point of view, it is pretty much all you can ask for as the engine doles out plenty of torque and noise on the high end of the rev range, yet is perfectly capable of being composed highway cruiser. We have taken numerous camping trips and the cavernous trunk would swallow up any gear we threw in. However, as I grew, the back seats really became unbearable as they sit so low to the ground your knees are practically digging into your chest and you worry your bum will scrape the pavement. (a slight exaggeration) All in all our car has held up over the years and is still in full use today.
Favorite Features
Strong engine, transmission doesn't "second guess" in gear changes and are predictable, supportive front seats, aggressive exterior styling, decent highway mileage for a 3.8L V6 (I average 27 mpg without straining) Handles modestly well (grandma crashed early on and since then had to get a brace for the chasis)
Suggested Improvements
As I mentioned, the rear seats, questionable build quality: some plastic bits started cracking, seals in lights started breaking (occurred after 10 years of ownership)