1996 Pontiac Grand Am Consumer Review: every pennies worth

1996 Pontiac Grand Am - Consumer Review

SE Coupe (2.4L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

every pennies worth
By Bryan Mirzaian on

1996 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2dr Coupe

My dad bought me this car 10 years ago for little more than $6k with 67k on the odo. 10 years later,I still (hard) drive it daily with over 200k miles. @ 178k pulled a 16.07 sec 1/2 mile having less than $180 in performance parts,& that was with almost a half sec crap start! I use full syn oil, changed timely,& replace the usual parts when they fail. Parts failure is inevitable with any car, its the nature of the beast! But have never had to crack the motor open & thats the more pertinent point. Cost of ownership has been very low.My quad4 motor began smoking V6 GA`s with a $25 cone filter, so not sure why one would choose the heavier V6 that has more moving parts to potentially fail.

Favorite Features

5 spd transaxle, simple & comfortable interior,(though a bit unconventional)a strong engine layout whose components are fairly assessable. ABS braking is impressive.

Suggested Improvements

Battery relocation to the trunk frees up underhood space for cool air intake modification. Flowmaster Delta40 muffler provides good note & flow. swapping rear brake drums for disk would be nice. Shortened shift lever with a B&M T-handle for fast shifts. Seafoam helps to loosen sticky valves.