It sure has been built for keeps!
By T Lo on
1996 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan
I bought my 2.4L, 4 cyl Grand Am in 1997 used with 30,000 miles. Currently, it's a shade under 170,000 and she's still going strong. I get ragged by many friends who say I have an old ugly car, but I can't disagree more. A few mechanical problems have occurred (2 alternators, 2 water pumps, window motors that STINK, and a vacuum tube that baffled every mechanic except a Pontiac dealership) have occurred in 9 years. Currently, itching at getting a G6 Convertible. It's hard not to keep this car until the wheels fall off, nice not having a car note! I have no regrets owning this car during my entire 20's. Installed alarm and CD disk changer, so it's been functional and fun for me.
Favorite Features
I've always liked the seats and headrests (they go straight up, unlike the G6 that juts forward). I'm sure those cloth seats molded to my body over the past 9 years! Good get up and go for a 4 cylinder.
Suggested Improvements
An assorted group of squeaks and rattles, but sometimes they would just disappear! Had the instrument cluster replaced a few times back in 1997, the fuel gauge still is NOT accurate - keep up with your mileage (found out the hard way!). Rear ended in 1999, trunk still has leak problem, o well.