Used 1998 Plymouth Voyager Minivan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Plymouth Voyager - Consumer Reviews

1998 Plymouth Voyager Minivan

View reviews for a specific Voyager model:

Voyagers Rock
By voyager99

1998 Plymouth Voyager Minivan 3dr Minivan

I bought a 1998 Plymouth Voyager with 165,000 miles on it in 2011 for 1100 and all I can say is Im impressed. Ive put just about ZERO money into it and even was late on the oil changes but this thing still starts with the first turn of the key. Other minor things have gone wrong as the car is old but nothing major. I work with a guy that also owns one and he says its the best vehicle he has ever owned. I hear these are not so reliable but that has not been my experience. Take it for what it is, if you can find one for a cheap price grab it. Its a fun and comfortable vehicle to drive and I loved mine till I sold it for a newer car.

An Excellent vehicle EXCEPT
By rasdebol

1998 Plymouth Voyager Minivan Expresso 4dr Minivan

The Chrysler mini-van line is a pretty good one. Reasonably well styled, very reliable engine, comfortable, extremely practical, nice to drive and ride in, so it's almost all PROS BUT as good as they are the ONE bad feature is a BIG one:The Transmission! The Chrysler mini-van transmission is legendarily BAD! If you own one and have not had to replace the transmission at least a couple of times consider yourself lucky! Then again if you like everything else about the vehicle you can keep driving your beloved van for a few more years for the cost of a transmission. SHAME on Chrysler for letting this go on for so many years AND not offering ANY help when they fail.

Favorite Features

Handles like a car not a truck, good seats, great a/c & heating.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission, Transmission, Transmission Search the web. LOTS of pages dedicated to this problem..

Best Vehicle we ever owned
By 98 voyager

1998 Plymouth Voyager Minivan Expresso 4dr Minivan

I never thought I would say this, but this is the most reliable vehicle we owned. We bought it used (110k mi) intending to keep 3-4 years, and still have it after 7. Looked at Ford, GM and Toyota, but the Voyager had the best ride, interior and styling. Transmission was repaired for a seal leak. Otherwise no problems with 190k miles today. Very smooth and quiet, comfortable ride. Nice interior and styling. A real dependable workhorse for us. 3.8 engine is smooth and reliable. Pulls a camper easily. Great gas mileage!

Favorite Features

Interior amenities, compass, style, 2 sliding doors. Very reliable! Rides like a newer vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

None

Great van
By John A

1998 Plymouth Voyager Minivan SE 4dr Minivan

I bought my 98 van in 2005 with 70,000 on it for $5,000. I now have 150,000 on it and have had zero problems. I have changed oil regularly, maintained transmission, flushed radiator, etc. I get 26mpg hwy and 22 city. I use my van in my job so recently bought a 2007 Dodge Caravan with 30k on it because of the success with the Plymouth. Hate to part with my Plymouth but expect to get a minimum $2,500 for it. It has been a great vehicle for me.

Favorite Features

Captains chairs, especially drivers seat. I have back problems and the seat is very comfortable for me.

Suggested Improvements

none

hmm
By rickstaxi2009

1998 Plymouth Voyager Minivan Expresso 4dr Minivan

well we bought one these 98 junks got it with 100k on it at 140 tranny went then starting getting electrical problems fuel gage and all lights flashing all the time. still have electric problems bought a third tranny sofar 15k miles on it still holding up with a bit of a glunk with applying brakes

Favorite Features

seating

Suggested Improvements

build better trannys and upgrade electric work