Used 1990 Plymouth Acclaim Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Plymouth Acclaim - Consumer Reviews

1990 Plymouth Acclaim Sedan

View reviews for a specific Acclaim model:

What a great car
By SpenserTalus

1990 Plymouth Acclaim Sedan 4dr Sedan

My parents bought this car back in 1992 and it has been wonderful. Although the paint has basically scaled away on the roof and the hood, the car still runs great. The acceleration on it isn't great now, but then again its a 15 year old 4- cylinder economy car. The car's wonderful on long car trips, as it has plenty of room. I chose to drive this car instead of a 2000 PT Cruiser; that car was a piece of junk.

Favorite Features

The interior is very roomy. The car isn't very fancy, but its reliable and there's only a very, very slim chance that anyone would ever consider breaking into it.

Suggested Improvements

The air conditioning, while very cold, has a tendency to always blow on your feet. Don't drive barefoot or in sandals, basically.

170000 and still going!
By carnut1000

1990 Plymouth Acclaim Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I love this car! I've owned it for 10 years with no major repairs. Yes, the paint peeled horribly but I had it repainted and it looks like new. This car is very comfortable and roomy for a small car. It knocks a little upon start-up but it has done this since I bought the car. It burns a little oil but not so much that I must add oil between oil changes. For a 14 year old car, it still gets 30 mpg on the highway. It has lots of get-up-and- go. I have taken care of this car and it has taken care of me.

Favorite Features

Huge back seat area! Lots of room in the car for 4 adults to ride comfortably.

Suggested Improvements

I wish Plymouth was still producing this car. There is nothing about this car that I feel needs improvement. It isn't fancy but it is reliable.

GoingAndGoing
By BillMe

1990 Plymouth Acclaim Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

We could always count on this car with very little time in the shop. Plenty of room throughout the car. Great for shopping or traveling and with 23mph city and 28 highway not too expensive to use. Yes the valves tap but they've been tapping for 60 thousand miles with no problem. My wife loves it and had it repainted last year. The original paint job was coming off but with the new color it's almost like new.

Favorite Features

The roooooom! Lots of trunk space, enough back seat for 3 with leg room for 4! Front has room for 3 as well but not for very long distances. It's extremely comfortable for 4.

Suggested Improvements

Keep making cars like this! There's nothing out there like it! That's why we're buying a 95 Acclaim. Not as a replacement!

Excellent sleeper
By MoparMan58

One fine automobile - another MoPar hit - overlooked in the marketplace

Favorite Features

3.0 V-6

Why did i buy this car?!
By Scott Niec

1990 Plymouth Acclaim Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car and this car has started to fall apart. This has begin a money pit and an eye sore. I have the lights held in place with a toothbrush it burns oil like a WWII tank and it puts out a blue smoke screen when i hit the gas. THe speakers stopped working not long after purchase and now the seats have all ripped. Also the timing belt ripped like a paper bag on the highway. I am afraid to drive it in towns since i fear the smoke will harm small children or animals.

Favorite Features

It used to work now it starts sometimes. At times i can get to work.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the reliabilty issues please.