A No-Frills,True Off-Roading Vehicle
By JosephF on
2002 Nissan Xterra XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)
This is a fully capable, no-frills off- roading truck. The 4WD transmission is amazing; This truck can handle almost any off-roading obstacle you throw at it. The low-end torque really comes in handy when traversing perilous trails (I was able to haul my friend's Wrangler out of a good one and a half feet of mud without straining my truck at all). The lack of power in the 4th and 5th gears is to be expected. This is a real truck, not a Ferrari; so don't expect to be winning races with it anytime soon. I would recommend this vehicle to those who want a fully capable off-roader to get them to where they need to go.
Favorite Features
Easily-folding rear seats, the many places to store various items needed for long trips, the gear basket and roof-rack, stadium seating, the 4WD transmission, the manual transmission, and the plentiful amount of low-end torque.
Suggested Improvements
Perhaps hardier seat materials. If you're going to be put-off by the poor gas mileage, the stiff handling on pavement, the difficulty of putting it into 4WD, and the lack of acceleration, then i would highly suggest you look elsewhere.