Used 1998 Nissan Maxima GXE Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Nissan Maxima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

First Car
By Carter

1998 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

While there is a special place in my heart for this car, I can't recommend the GXE. With such a powerful engine, the car was all over the place. The extra handling power of the SE is necessary. I loved the way this car looked, inside and out, especially with the spoiler. Interior materials felt premium to me. Loved the beige velour seats. It was pretty well equipped for a base model with no options.

Powerful, refined and efficient V6 make it a pleasure to drive. Well equipped for a base model. Comfortable interior.

GXE does not have the necessary hardware to handle V6 power. If you buy this car, get the SE. It needs the sports suspension, limited slip and traction control. The manual can be tricky and has long throws. I actually got rid of the car because the transmission was starting to go.

My Best Car
By Nissan3

1998 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I have owned approximately 20 cars in my lifetime including 7 new cars. The Maxima is the best car I've ever owned. It is comfortable and very reliable. I average 25 MPG overall and get 27-31 MPG on the freeway. Replaced front brake pads @ 90,000 and the rear brake pads at 135,000. Regular oil, filter & air filter changes are completed. Also installed one new battery so far but no other problems. The car currently has 138,000+ miles and purrs like a kitten. Overall - it's a great car. I plan on driving it until it drops.

Fuel efficiency - lots of room - reliability.

I like it the way it is.

Pay Close Attention to this review
By Luv Maxima

1998 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

Bought mine from 1st owner with 180K miles for $1700. Replaced the struts within 3 months and have only put brakes and an $85 part that controls trans shifting since then ( now have 215K). This car and drivetrain is absolutely bulletproof! (just change the oil using synthetic oil). If trans starts shifting hard it IS NOT the trans going bad, but a cheap little part just behind the battery that ANYONE can replace themselves (talk to dealer as they keep them in stock since they fail frequently on the 3.0 24V engine). Rides a little stiff but handles like a vette with GOOD Tires on it... QUICK as he%$, and I don't even drive that fast....

RELIABILITY and engine performance... Can only get 26 MPG on highway no matter how it is driven (under 75 mph. YOU WILL LOVE THIS CAR.. 100K Miles is just broken in if it was maintained.... Totally optimistic I will get 300K miles out of it..... Burn Premium gas as directed and U will LOVE this car

None other than MPG, but then again it has such great performance I will trade one for the other any day....

Keep on giving me check engine lights
By nissan_no_good

1998 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

Don't know if I'm just unlucky on this car or what, starting around 80k miles, check engine light keeps on coming back, I replaced 4 o2 sensors so far (the 1st one was actually around 50k miles), now the check engine is on again for p0325. Since then I've spent more than $5000 repairing o2 sensor and other issues. Every time I tell myself this is a good car, this is the last time I'll need to spend big money on it. It just never stops. I'm selling it now.

Masterpiece.. Best in it's class..
By DoN RaB

1998 Nissan Maxima Sedan GXE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 55,000 miles in 2004. I now have 112,000 in 2008. Rock solid performance from this vehicle. No major mechanical problems to date. I will take this Maxima to its grave. This car will take better care of you than your own mama! Get the fully loaded model and drive it as far as you can. I do regret not getting the leather, sunroof, woodgrain, and digital ac. But those upgrades are all optional.

Easy to customize. Easy to fix any problems yourself. Factory head unit slot fits double din dvd touchscreen perfect, and has tweeter holders for new component speakers. Lots of trunk space. Reliability on everything under the hood! Ooooh, and the frosty ice cold AC! (I live in Florida.)